The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Happy Day

Posted by Seeking Solace |

You may recall this post where I talked about my relationship, or lack thereof, with my brother. I have not seen my nieces for five years now.

Until last Sunday.

My oldest niece, my brother's step-daughter*. graduated from high school. She invited us to her graduation party, which we could not attend, due to our trip. However, since we were driving through Hillbilly State on our way back to Lake Effect Snow Central, we stopped in to visit.

Let me back track just a little. The night before we drove to see Niece #!, I spoke to her on the phone. She told me that her sisters, Niece #2 and #3, who are now 12 and 10, were there and couldn't wait to talk to me. I talked to both of them on the phone and told them that Uncle Solace and I would be there to see them.

OK, so back to the story. When we pulled into the driveway at their maternal grandparents house, all three of them came running out. We hugged and cried. I told Nieces #2 and #3, that Uncle Solace and I loved them very much missed them terribly and they were not at fault for our not seeing them for so long. It was grown-ups problems that they need not worry about. All they needed to know was that they have an aunt and uncle (and a grandmother, my mom) who care about them and will always be there.

We had a lovely visit. We got caught up, took pictures and hugged a lot. I got Nieces' #2 and #3 home address, so I will be able to send them stuff (Assuming that the parents don't intercept mail.)

I am so happy. This was a huge missing piece of my life. When the girls' mother was in the hospital, I promised that I would look out for the girls. Now, at least I have a chance to keep my promise.

---------
*My brother's first wife died in 2000. Niece #1, is her daughter from a previous relationship. My brother is the only father she has known. Niece #1 was raised by her grandparents. My bother remarried. Niece #2 and #3 live with my brother and Wife #2, along with Niece #4, who is my brother's daughter with Wife #2.

7 comments:

Arbitrista said...

I'm so glad that this worked out for you.

Rebecca said...

That's truly wonderful. I hope you get to enjoy long, fabulous relationships with them all.

Brigindo said...

What a sweet story. I'm so glad its working out--for you and for them.

comebacknikki said...

I'm so glad you were able to make contact with them! :)

RageyOne said...

Sounds like a great visit! I hope that you are able to maintain the connection with them.

Psych Post Doc said...

I am so glad you got to see them!! I hope their parents are mature enough to let the relationship continue.

Albatross said...

How wonderful! I hope your relationships with them continue to grow

Subscribe