The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 02, 2007

Right Now...It's Your Tomorrow

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I mentioned in this post about something good may come my way with respect to my job. Do you also remember when I mentioned in another post that I was worried that I would be on another employment hiatus?

OK, now that you have refreshed your memory by clicking the links...I'll continue.

Well, I went on this massive email blitz. I emailed the chairs of departments where there were courses that I was qualified to teach. I just told them who I was and if they needed any adjuncts to fill any courses to let me know. I told them what courses I would be interested in teaching, and asked if they were available. Nothing preachy or pretentious. I just looked at the course description and briefly explained why I would be a good fit. I attached my resume and let nature take its course.

Well, it paid off.

I met with the chair of the English department. She was impressed with what I was doing in my CT and law classes. She liked the manner in which I have students write essays and research papers. She offered me a course in Analytical Writing and another in College Writing!!!! So, with my Spring CT class, that makes three courses for the Spring!!!!!!

YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!

I am so excited. This is a huge opportunity for me to move forward at this college. I like where I work and the people are just great. I could see staying for a while.

It also gives me more reason to pursue my own writing. It is something that was not a priority at my other college. Actually, any form of independent thought was discouraged. I have ideas for journal articles that I would like to investigate and pursue. So, my plan for 2008 is to get published. Maybe I can join Brazen's club once I get my shit together.

But for now...WOOHOO!!!!!

8 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

YEA!!!

I'm happy they are figuring out that you "fit" there.

It sounds as if they don't have the peculiar biases and restrictions on who is "qualified" that we are stuck with.... sigh.

Prisca said...

Well that's some good news for the day! I'm so impressed that you took the initiative and checked in with other depts. I hope you enjoy the additional assignments. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome - it seems like this school is more in tune with their product being learning and not a grade for $ exchange

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

That's great news! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

congrats!!!

RageyOne said...

that is wonderful! congrats! it pays to market yourself. :)

dr four eyes said...

Yay! Great work!

Mad Hatter said...

I'm a bit late here, but congrats! That's fantastic. :-)

Subscribe