The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Lord, I Wrote a Rambling Post

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I started getting a migraine on Thursday night. (Yes GML, my head was hurting while we were chatting on the phone.) I thought I would pop an Imitrex and all would be well Friday morning.

Wrong!

My pain was MUCH worse. The auras, the sensitivity to light and sound were all there. I could barely lift my head off the pillow to call and cancel my one and only class. I made the call and popped another Imitrex.

Then, I slept, on and off, until about 3 PM!!! Thankfully, the Boy kept quiet. He did snuggle with me for a while. Such a good Boy!!!!

I am feeling much better now. But, damn this weather and it's impact on me. If it's not allergies, it's migraines. On top of that, the last two days were in the 90's! (Hello, it's fucking September!) Today, it supposed to be around 76.

Sure.....

In other news, I was reading B*'s post about having trouble reading her students. I can so relate. I have one class where it's like pulling teeth to get them to engage in any conversation. They seem so timid. My guess is that since they are freshman, they are still nervous about the college experience.

A course like Critical Thinking doesn't work unless there is some give and take in conversation. Despite having taught this course for two years, none of my usual tricks seem to be working. Granted, I am working with real college students now, but I am at a loss. I tried having them do some small group discussion which seemed to work somewhat, but I can't do that all semester. Any thoughts out there????

As for today, I really need to clean my house. There is a lot of dust and dirt. The dirt comes from the Boy rolling in the grass and bringing some of it inside. J suggested a shopping trip, which I am so game for after the lovely and talented Lina, created this for me. Those of you that know me outside the blog-world know that I would so rock that outfit! I really want that jacket!!!!!!

Also, Husband has promised that we will go laptop shopping. I want to have my own system at work. Since Husband is a software engineer. I am sure I will get something really nice. But, he is also very picky which could make it a long shopping trip.

Also, I need the laptop because the adjunct faculty room at work is very small with only three computers. Because of my vision issues, I have to change all of the setting when I used the computer and then change them back when I am done.

On top of that, it's very crowded and space to work is at a
premium. Bitch and Moan tried to take over a veteran adjunct's space and was incensed when he asked her to please move over one seat. Thankfully, my new friend, RB, offered to share her office with me. Her space is huge! Plus, RB is just so freakin' cool. (Thanks again, RB!!! You so rock!!) But, until the maintenance staff gets off their asses and makes me a key, I am stuck in the adjunct room. I don't know if I can get a desktop computer, but if the wait for the key is any indication, I think I will stick with my own system.

Oh yeah, the local NFL team has its opening game tomorrow. I will be parked in front of the TV, wishing I could watch my boys in Black and Gold instead!

Whew. That's a lot of rambling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry about the migrane. I've had a few doozies latley as well. No fun.

And yea for you for getting your own laptop! :-)

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Hubby and I call the kind of shopping trip you describe as a "quest". When we know there will be much running around, comparison shopping and probably a stop for food to discuss the options it becomes a quest.

Have a good time on your quest -- they are the best when the object of the quest is your's :).

As for the critical thinking class, sometimes there are personalities in the class that have, in effect, pre-silenced others in the class. It is hard to figure that out, so sometimes the small group thing works -- and then if you can get them to report as a group you can get a wider participation.

For really quiet classes I have them debate an issue. I separate them into two groups in some random way and assign sides. If the class is small, then I'll even have them rotate speakers. If I have reason to believe there is hidden talent, I'll often select designated speakers.

good luck!

Seeking Solace said...

Lou: Hi and welcome to the Waiting Room!!!! I will stop by your blog soon!!!

Philosophy Factory: Thanks for the tip. I think I may try that!

RageyOne said...

I hope today is better for you and the migraine has passed.

Score one for you for finding a space on campus to work (and getting away from Bitch & Moan)!

How was the shopping trip?

Seeking Solace said...

Ragey: Sadly, our trip was postponed.

Subscribe