The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, August 17, 2007

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Posted by Seeking Solace |

...Before I found someone at my new job who will make my annoying people list.

I attended the new faculty orientation for my new job yesterday. Mostly speeches by the HMFIC and others. The HMFIC has this annoying habit of repeating the last few words that he speaks (the last few words that he speaks. Sorry, his voice is still ringing in my head.)

While somewhat annoying, he did not make the list.

After the speeches, the new faculty members were divided into groups to tour the campus. First, let me say that I hate tours groups. But for the fact that I had to get all my computer stuff done at that time, I would have just gone home. So, I decided to suck it up and get it over with.

There were five of us assigned to a veteran faculty member. I did not know any of the new faculty with me except for one person who ironically taught at my former employer around the time I started there. She seemed really cool.

As for the others, I just wanted to slap the crap out of them.

Have you ever been in a situation where there is one person who dominates a conversation with complaints and whining? The other three woman were that in spades. But there was this one woman I will call Bitch and Moan. Bitch and Moan is a fellow adjunct and sadly is in my department. Let me give you a sample conversation I had with her:

Bitch and Moan: So, how many classes are you teaching?
Me: Two.
B&M: How many sections are there for that course?
Me: (Shrugging my shoulders) I don't know.
B&M: Well, don't you think you should know that? I mean I have one class and there are five sections. I don't understand why you have two classes and I only have one. I need to talk to someone and see if I can get more classes. That is just not right. I mean, you don't even know how many sections there are for your course!
Me: Uh, yeah...whatever.

Later, she had this 10 minute argument with the IT guy because her classroom was not outfitted for power point. The IT guy said that all the classrooms should be ready by the first day of class, but he could not make any guarantees. That just set her off. So, the IT guy suggested that she sign out the power point equipment for the semester. Well, that just made it worse. She demanded that the IT guy set it up for her because she cannot be expected to transport the equipment every day she has class. When the IT guy said that perhaps she could bring a cart, she said that IT would have to store her cart for her. (Let me just interject that space is at a premium on campus). IT stated that they did not think it was possible. All hell broke loose at that point.

At that point I left the room, mostly because that exchange was making the group late for the next part of the tour. Also, I was not sure if there was going to be a bloodbath.

Next was the Public Safety building where we were to recieve our id tags. There is a portable defibrillator on the wall which prompted the following conversation between Bitch and Moan and the Public Safety Officer.

B&M: So, you have a portable defibrillator?
Public Safety Officer: Yes, we just got it.
B&M:How many of them are on campus?
PSO: Well, I believe every building has one. And the dorms have one too.
B&M: You mean you don't know the exact number?
PSO: Well, not off the top of my head...
B&M: Well, you need to know that information. I mean what if something happens, How could you not know that? I mean I don't know how to use one of those things anyway. You should be doing a better job!

Sweet Merciful Crap! All I kept thinking was "Please God, grant me the strength not to slap the shit out of this woman!" I mean DAMN!!!!! Then it hit me. I am going to have to put up with this woman because she is in my department and we will be sharing a workspace.

DAMN!

12 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for you... BM sounds like a really unhappy person...she'd have to be to spew that kind of verbal garbage everywhere.

You have two choices, either make her mad enough that she never speaks to you, but you know she'll talk behind your back -- or, be friendly and not incur her wrath...

Maybe you can just avoid her a lot -- maybe give extra-credit if students visit during office hours and work in the library??

k8 said...

I pity her students.

Ianqui said...

In any case, aren't portable defibrillators only for use by physicians? Someone should tell her to take a load off--she's not EXPECTED to know how to use it.

Anonymous said...

good god make it stop.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. that sucks. and you have to share a space with her?? can you work from home? what a pain.

dr four eyes said...

oy vey!

Prisca said...

I can only imagine what that woman will be like come finals & grading time. What a delight.

RageyOne said...

Sounds like a royal pain in the ass. :( I hope you don't have to interact with her much for the sake of your own sanity.

Crawlspace said...

Oooh, I have an annoying people list. It contains but one entry:

1)Everyone

I kid, I kid.

Alice said...

Wow, I missed so much -- look at you, new job, new template; well, new problems -- but you will be, OK! ;)

Thanks for visiting my blog even though I haven't posted on a regular blog! :)

Seeking Solace said...

Crawlspace: That's just the kind of humor I like!

Alice: You are very welcome.

gwoertendyke said...

poor bitch and moan--she sounds loony. really insane. maybe you could just respond with completely blank affect and she'll start to get the hint that you're not interested.

or you could slap her. that would work.

Subscribe