The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Highway Robbery

Posted by Seeking Solace |

GML and I had this grand idea that we would go see Chris Daughtry and his band. They are scheduled to play at the county fair. After all, his songs are pretty good. And he is very easy on the eyes.

So, I mentioned to my friend and neighbor, J, that GML and I were planning to get tickets. J told me that one of her friends got tickets for the event. The tickets were $40.00 each and all seats were general admission. Add fees like surcharges, taxes, parking at the event, etc, the total cost was $127.50!

Are you kidding me?

Dude only has one album (sorry, CD) and he has the nerve to charge $40.00 a person? I saw BNL earlier this summer and they charged $45.00 and they have been around for years.

WTF???

I remember when concert tickets were anywhere between $15.00 and $20.00. Back in the day, it was considered highway robbery to charge more than that. Some of you may remember when the Jackson had the Victory tour and they wanted $30.00. People were pissed.

I have to admit that I am guilty of paying an obscene amount of money for some things. I am going to see the Police in November and that ran me about $300.00 for two tickets. And I did get Husband 10th row seats for the Who back in 2003 which ran me about $300.00. And I did pay $200.00 to see Clapton when he said he was not going to tour anymore.

It seems to be getting out of hand. More and more acts are charging a ton of money for concerts. It's getting to the point where soon people will have to take out a second mortgage in order to see their favorite acts. Even if Keith Moon, Jimi Hendrix or even Elvis were resurrected from the dead, it would have to be a perfect show to justify the exorbitant cost.

So as far as Daughtry is concerned, I guess I will just have to listen to him on my IPod. Maybe someday he will be worthy.

9 comments:

Weezy said...

Girl, you didn't walk up the hill in the snow to the concert did you?

(sorry, i couldn't resist....)

Anonymous said...

I think part of the justification is that a concert is one of the venues where the artist makes money, as opposed to buying the music via CD/ITunes/...

I'm not even blaming pirating (although I probably pirate much less than the average joe, pretty close to not at all) when I say this, even without it the record companies have been skewing their cuts per unit sold further and further their way over time, with advance promo and video costs and such. And I'm sure the Idol kids all get a little more screwed on those numbers than the more conventionally discovered new act.

Music business bites big time.

Still think it sucks (and I'm one of those who remember the Victory tour) and really don't blame you at all for eschewing the concert.

Seeking Solace said...

Weezy: LOL!!! Uphill both ways!!!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! I am so sick and tired of high prices for tickets for people who aren't... ok, the Police yet!! he's a great singer and a cutie... but $40... come on!!
Awesome post!!
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues

Anonymous said...

I don't when exactly "back in the day" was for you, but running some quick numbers: 20 years of 3.5% inflation doubles prices. That twenty dollar ticket turns into forty.

But over $60/person to see CHRIS Daughtry sounds pricey no matter how you slice it.

Seeking Solace said...

Sheepish: For me, it was the 1980's! I still remember seeing the Thompson Twins and OMD at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh for $20.00 back in 1985. My husband saw the Who at the same place in 1982 for $15.00!

Anonymous said...

yah, but that's the police! i'd pay to see them. I'm with you on this one. dude only has one album (umm cd) and $40 is a bit much. American Idol or not.

Anonymous said...

umm, yah. that's totally insane. I am not really a concert person, but i refuse to pay more than 20 dollars. and for someone who was on Idol? that is way too expensive!

Anonymous said...

That really is crazy. Considering two years ago you could have gone to some dive bar in the south and seen him play for the price of a few drinks!! :)

Subscribe