The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday Bullets of Crapola

Posted by Seeking Solace |

  • I have a cold and cramps. What did I do to deserve both at the same time?
  • At least I only had one class this morning.
  • I really like my MWF Critical Thinking class. They are engaging and love to talk. I wish I had that class on TR. TR classes run longer and it seems like one hour is not enough for my MWF class. One hour would be enough for my TR class since they don't like to talk.
  • One of my Business Law students uses my first name when he emails me. It's the same guy who's BFF is the son of Attorney X. I am going to have a chat with him. Have any of you had a student so bold?
  • J and I did not go shopping. She is sick too.
  • My boys in Black and Gold won yesterday! Woohoo!!!
  • Say an extra prayer for this guy.
  • OK, time for a nap, because the meds are kicking in.

6 comments:

Ianqui said...

Have any of you had a student so bold?

God, all the time. I just had a student email me today using my first name. I've given up. I used to think it undermined my authority, but I don't think so anymore. So I've stopped caring.

Prisca said...

I think the only way to prevent the first name thing is to tackle it head -on on the first day of class. If you hate being addressed by your first name then you've got to tell them so. Otherwise, they'll use it.

Society has gotten really casual about titles. I'm even seeing that with my kids. Do I have them call adult friends Mr. Or Mrs. Last Name or Mr. or Ms. First Name. A huge southern problem. People are Ms. Ginny or Mr. Fred and even elderly folks. None of the Mr. Smith or Mrs. Johnson anymore.

I also think this guy in particular is so into thinking of himself as a future lawyer that he's just inserting himself into the club way too prematurely! He'll need to learn deference for the courtroom and the judges!! Maybe you could tell him that as a means of communicating the respect issue. OR you can go to calling everyone in the room Mr. or Ms. Last Name and then it might be clear that you prefer a more formal tone.

Sorry for the long post. It's an interesting issue.

p.s. my thoughts ARE at the hospital today!

Seeking Solace said...

Prisca: I thought of doing it the law school way by using Mr. or Ms. Last Name. That may do it.

Yeah, he's pretty bold. People like him get chewed up and spat out on the first day of law school, assuming that they make it into law school.

I still call my parents' friends Mr. or Mrs. Last Name even though they tell me it's OK to use their first anme. Soemthing about that just doesn't seem right.

RageyOne said...

I have a note about that player in my NFL recap blog posting for tomorrow. :( I'm so sad for him and his family. That is one part of the game that is really difficult to get ahold of.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad and you didn't get to go shopping this past weekend. I hope the week begins to look better for you as it progresses.

rented life said...

heard about that player, it's so sad. So young. I hope he and his family can pick up after this.

I tell my kids explicitly the first day of class what to call me. I'm more offended by texting, talking, and other things than what they call me.

Abbey said...

Hope you're feeling better!

Subscribe