The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I'm Gonna Die In These Four Walls

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am bored!

One would think that being at home would be a blessing, but not me. I am one of those people who feels like she is not productive unless she is doing something. I have read, cleaned, worked out, cooked and even stooped so low at the try to find something entertaining on daytime TV. (Thank God for Law and Order reruns.) The cold weather does not help. Today, it is 22 degrees, but the "real feel" temperature is 9 degrees. So, taking the Boy for a walk is out of the questions. The joints would be VERY unhappy at that prospect.

What makes matters worse is that I can't just jump in my car and go somewhere. For those of you new readers and lurkers who may not know, I am visually impaired and cannot drive (I have sight, but it's like 20/200). Getting around can be quite difficult and expensive. Of course, there is public transport in Lake Effect Snow Central, but again, I refer you to the paragraph above where I talk about the weather.

I am going stir crazy here.

Being unemployed really sucks this time of year. If if was summer, I would not care. I would be outside reading, working in my garden or doing something with the Boy. No worries or cares. But right now, it's really tough.

Someone suggested to me that I do some volunteer legal work. OK, I know I am going to catch some heat for this but here goes...Been there and done that and it just sucked the life out of me. I have always been generous with donating my skills as an attorney, and I enjoy doing so. But in my experience (notice the qualifier there), it often becomes even more stressful than dealing with paying clients, mostly because many clients either expect you to solve ALL of their legal troubles, not just the one case you are assigned. Or you are put in a position to solve the client's life problems. I guess I could be a total bitch and say "Well, there is X agency for that." and be on my way. But, the Catholic guilt in me always gets sucked in. Sometimes, the agencies that assist people figure that you are at their beck and call and make it difficult for you to turn down a case. The end result is that I feel used and disillusioned.

Does that make me a bad person? I hope not.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, it doesn't make you a bad person!

I would totally be going crazy, too.

You know, over the holiday break, I got so bored that I ironed napkins. Have you sunk that low yet?! ;)

BrightStar (B*) said...

No way! You're not a bad person. You know your limits, and if it's too much, it's too much, and that's okay. Also, you did help me, and I'm thankful for that, so that makes you a good person! (I wouldn't have been able to write my property settlement agreement for my divorce without your help!)

Ianqui said...

OK, I can see that about the volunteer legal work. But what about any other kind of volunteer stuff? It'll at least be a reason to get out of the house.

Anonymous said...

Wow...Anonymous: so bored you ironed napkins...that is BORED!

Any projects around the house you want to accomplish? Take up a hobby of some sort? Mosaics? Cooking? Knitting? Catch up on your movie watching? Being stir crazy sucks, I feel for ya.

Stay Warm!

Prisca said...

VLSP is not for everyone! I'm with you on that one! You've got to be soooooo tough (almost rude) to the folks you represent and it's just painful to do that.

Are you looking for stuff in Lake Effect's sister cities? I guess that wouldn't be practical without better transportation.... :(

I'm thinking about you. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

echoing the not a bad person comments! and man, i know what it's like to be bored and stuck inside. there is only so much tv you can watch before you want to scream...if you find things to allay the boredom, let me in on the secret!

Weezy said...

You could write my dissertation for me (have I ever told you what my topi was??) I have a feeling you'd like it!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Have you investigated teaching on-line for the for-profit schools? I looked into it a long time ago, and they weren't all that interested in philosophy classes... on the other hand, business law would probably be in demand with them.

It could, at least partially, solve the job problem and the stir-crazy problem... or, at least give you something to investigate :).

Alice said...

Don't feel bad about not volunteering -- it's OK, really. I agree with a previous comment -- why don't you investigate online teaching opportunities?

Chaser said...

You could invite a friend over! I'd come if near!

Subscribe