The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tough But Fair

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Only half of my Law and Ethics students submitted a research paper. Only four did an oral presentation today. Those that did not do the paper could have at least presented something to the class, at least get SOME points toward their grade. But no.

WTF????

There logic, or lack thereof, just amazes me. Wouldn't you want to get as many points as possible? Why the all or nothing logic? Is it easier to just not do it?

One of my students begged me for an extension. He claimed that he could not finish his paper because he went home for the weekend and he lost power last night. I do not entertain requests for extension on the day the paper is due, unless there is some extreme hardship. Needless to say, I was not sympathetic to his plight. He had not submitted any of the pre-assignments for the paper, which are part of his overall grade. That alone gave me pause. He probably just started his paper and wants me to bail him out because he cannot budget his time.

I thought I was being harsh. After all, the reason the student went home was because his brother was home from Afghanistan. I understand why he would want to be there. But, part of me thinks that if that was the case, why didn't he contact me last week when he was out to inform me of that information. Would I have given him the extension? I don't know, but I might have considered the possibility.

Later, I received my teaching evaluations for that same class. One of the comments was "Professor Seeking Solace is tough, but fair."

So much for feeling I was being too harsh.

2 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I think you were fair as well. Clearly, since he didn't do the pre-assignments, he wasn't making good progress and even with the power he wouldn't have had a good paper to hand in.

I also would be a little suspect of the reason for going home... if my brother were coming home from Iraq and the following week I had a huge project due, I'd probably have it nearly done before the brother entered US airspace.... the last thing I'm going to want to do is to have to write a huge paper when I'm supposed to be hanging with my brother.

I think the only way I'd give an extension is if he handed you an un-edited version and said that he'd like a couple of days to finish.... clearly, the electricity going out was the only barrier to an on-time paper :).

Anonymous said...

"The brother home from . . ." story may or may not be true, but what was the student doing during the rest of the semester?

The students I always feel badly for are the ones who DO have an emergency and who scramble to get the word to me when they should be focussing on themselves--you know the type. The send several phone messages and emails to assure me that they are having a crisis and they will turn all of their work in on the day they get back (which they do). Sometimes they'll dispatch a friend to pick up assignments.

"Power out," indeed! Maybe the student needs a jolt of . . .common sense? maturity?

Subscribe