The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 14, 2005

Survival

Posted by Seeking Solace |

“It’s like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep form going under.” The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
From Message from the Beat Street, Rino/Wea (1994).
It’s Monday…

One student showed up on time for Critical Thinking, which begins at 8:30. After waiting five minutes, I began my lecture. Students began to trickle in around 9:00, with the last arriving at 9:30. The class ends at 9:45. All the late arrivals asked me the same question. “Did I miss anything?”

Later, I had to meet with the Dean. She just happened to schedule the meeting at the same time that I have office hours. I have students crying for my attention. Instead, I have sit with a few other prisoners and explain where my assessments fit with respect to Bloom’s Taxonomy. Sweet merciful crap, I got students harassing and stalking me for help, and now they have ammo for not doing well.

Then it was off to cover an English class for LN. Subbing sucks, except for the fact that I get paid for it. (See my post “Grow Up”) I posted the assignments on the board, took attendance and collected homework. The assignments were to be completed in class, but some students decided to take the day off. All but five walked out of the class. I do not recall saying that the students could leave. Maybe they have difficulty with the English language.

My afternoon was not as bad. My law class does give me too much grief. I do have one student who bombarded me with emails all weekend, wanting to know if I had graded his exam yet. I do not give out grades via email and my students know this. Just to torture him, I waited until the end of class to return the exams. Next exam, I am going to block his email address.

GML just retuned from her extended stay on the sunny beaches of Jamaica, where she was studying the effects of relaxation and alcohol on the overworked college professor. She told me that one of her Sociology students walked into class five minutes before the end of the lecture and asked “So, what did I miss?”

Is there any way to get immunity on this island?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Student calls Astroprof in the afternoon. He says, "I missed class this morning Astroprof. I didn't feel like getting out of bed after partying all night. Did you say anything important?"

Astroprof replies, "Just the answers to the next test."

Student says, "Can you tell them to me."

Astroprof says, "I just got through lecturing for 80 minutes. I am only paid to say these things once."

If they have a legitimate reason for missing, that is one thing. But, most don't. They just felt like doing something else. It isn't worth it to try to MAKE them come to class against their will. I figure that if I don't see them this semester, then I'll see them next semester when they retake the class.

blithering moron said...

Hey, that song just came up on my random playlist a while ago. :)

I think your students are funny. "What did I miss?" heehee.

Subscribe