The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day #5: Do the (Adjunct) Hustle

Posted by Seeking Solace |

For the past few years, I've been spoiled, so to speak. I've had a full time teaching gig which meant that I did not have to put on my dancing shoes and do the Adjunct Hustle. Since leaving my full time administrative gig at Tech College, I've had to dust of my shoes and start hustling a teaching gig for the Spring semester.

Currently, I am teaching one online class at HBCU in Elsewhere. While I am would rather teach on campus, I will not look a gift horse in the mouth. I took the online teaching gig, with the hope that it would get my foot in the door to something on ground, either part time or full time. I am doing my best hustle moves in order to secure something more than one online class.

There is a full time gig in a different department for a while now. Rumor has it that it is kinda hard to fill. I can teach most of the courses in the area with my JD and teaching experience, but I think they are holding out for someone with the "perfect" set of qualifications. I've contacted the person responsible for hiring the candidate on several occasions, doing my best hustle moves.

All I've heard to date it crickets. I mean I haven't even received the "Thank you for your inquiry, we'll get back to you" response.

Seriously, can someone just acknowledge my existence?

At any rate, I had forgotten how stressful the Adjunct Hustle really is. So much time and energy spent on getting someone to notice your existence  and ability.  It's hard enough to get your foot in the door, but trying to get more than a few scraps from the table just exerts too much energy. Granted, I am lucky in the sense that Husband and I do not rely on my income to survive. But, I do rely on the job to survive mentally, emotionally and professionally.

You can't put a price on that.

So, it's time to brush off my dancing shoes and get my boogie on down the road.

I promise I will not strut down the street carrying pant cans!

2 comments:

LittleBird said...

UGH! I've been job hunting too and I too have been ignored. RUDE. We're people, a little courtesy is appreciated. At this point I'd even take an automated "Thanks but no thanks" over nothing.

Grrr. Fingers crossed you score something amazing soon! <3

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks LittleBird! Welcome to the Waiting Room.

It really is frustrating, especially not even being acknowledged. I mean I'd take "Thanks for your interest, we'll get back to you."

Subscribe