The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, November 03, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day #3: Good Gifts

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I enjoy giving gifts. I love shopping, wrapping and giving of gifts for people. I just finished wrapping a gift for a very dear friend who is having a baby very soon. I am sad that we are so far away and I could not attend her baby shower. 

For me, gift giving is about thinking about the person who is going to receive the gift. I will spend a lot of time trying to decide what I should give them. Even with a registry, I try to pick out something that will be useful, but then throw in something unexpected, something a little extra that will make them smile, laugh or just say "AAAWWW".  Giving gifts is never a chore to me.
 
I had a great time picking out Husband's birthday present two weeks ago. He had a feeling that I was going to give him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label for his birthday. But, what he didn't realize was that I upped the aunty, adding a bottle of Jim Bean Black Label and a bottle of Hennessy Cognac, wrapped with gold ribbon. Let's just say that right now, the Cognac is the only bottle left!

Holidays are the same thing, but this means that I usually buy things throughout the year. If I see something in April that I think would be perfect for someone, I grab it right away. Of course, I have to remember where I put the item once it's time to wrap it!  It does get hard with the nieces and nephews. These kids have EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING they WANT is EXPENSIVE. This is where gift cards are the gift of choice. They are all at the age where it's just best to let them pick out something or use it later. Thankfully, their parents have taught them to put the gift cards away, so in a month or two, when the get bored with the stuff they have, they can pick out something new. Even my mom is down with the gift card thing. She's 73 years old and says she has enough stuff. So, I get her a VISA gift card to cover her hair appointments for six months. I also throw in a couple of restaurant cards for her to treat herself and her friends. She really loves it.

I must confess, the gift card thing does cut back on the stress of buying for some. But, I do like to take time with certain folks. I want them to know that I really put thought into how much they mean to me when I pick out something.

This also means I have to come up with some really good to top this years present for Husband's birthday next year! But, I don't mind.

It's the thought that counts.

2 comments:

rented life said...

I'm with you--I love picking out that perfect gift. My parents are the hardest. I can't afford some of the things they want, and for mom, a gift card to the material store really IS what makes her happiest. So last year I took it to the next level: The store is 2 hours from me so I wasn't going there to get the card. I made a posterboard sized card instead. (attached $ to the board) It was easy, fun, and hilarious to watch her "open". Sadly, she didn't take it into the store with her (I think she should have, in order to "redeem it").

I want to get gifts people will actually want/use. In-laws tend to get what they think we should want (though we stopped getting religious books finally). It's funny what you said about kids--last Christmas two aunts were griping about their nephew. Mom and dad had gotten all these expensive gifts for him and he said "all I wanted were pokemon cards" (which he didn't get). The aunts felt he was being ungrateful about all the expensive gifts, but mom said no one seemed to ask him what he actually wanted. He wanted something far cheaper than all the electronics he got. I think some parents (not all) push too much of the expensive stuff and miss the point.

Unknown said...

This is a great content. Since the vacations are easily nearing, people should be preparing what they are going to get for everyone. I am grateful I came across this website because I try to remain on a price range because presents nowadays are costly. I also have a huge close relatives to buy presents.expensive gift

Subscribe