The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Crazy Train

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The last few days have been very stressful...to say the least. 

First, I had a huge presentation for the People Who Work in Windowless Offices. I had to explain how I am going to fix all the issues in the academic department at Tech College. Although I am not responsible for all the problems (I wasn't working there when all that stuff happened), I am charged with putting together a plan to fix it.  So far, the policies that I've implemented are working and the Windowless Office people are pleased. But, the process of getting ready for the presentation was more stressful than the presentation itself. Boss was driving everyone crazy by nitpicking everyone's presentation. I know that he meant nothing malicious by it, but still...shut up and let me do what I know how to do.

Second, I have an instructor who is driving me crazy. She is extremely needy, not very tech savvy and possibly has  some serious mental health issues that are having an impact in the classroom. I learned that she violated college policy which is a huge no-no. The policy violation is extremely serious and could jeopardize the students. When I tried to discuss it with her, she flipped out on me.  She admitted that she had violated the policy and her only justification was that another instructor had done the same thing.   I told her that while I could not address the issue with the other instructor because what she told me is hearsay, that does not excuse or justify what she had done. She has taught at one of our sister campuses, so she should know better. She became very agitated to the point that I had to ask her to leave my office. Now, she is blowing up my voicemail with half-hearted apologies and half-assed explanations for what she did. Boss wants her gone, but I can't fire her right now. There are five weeks left in the term and I have no one to replace her. I am going to have to place some serious guidelines in place for the remainder of the term. After that, I will have to fire her.

Finally, there was the bomb that dropped yesterday. Yesterday was our internal audit. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but we did not expect it until June. Needless to say, I along with everyone else were running around like crazy people trying to gather all the documents that were needed. I think I blew a vein in my forehead.

Yeah...it's been a rough few days. And, I have a few thoughts on all of this...I just need some time process everything.At least my flare is over and done. I am so looking forward to the weekend.

First, someone call Ozzy and tell him I don't want to ride the Crazy Train anymore! 

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've been through an audit at an academic institution and that is enough to make you crazy without anything else going on. So I have enormous sympathy for you having to deal with all of that other stress. Hope end of term brings you a much better work situation. Good luck!

chicago foodie girl said...

Ugh, I went through several audits at former crappy school - SO not fun (especially when they're ill-prepared)! Sending you many anti-stress/good job vibes! :-)

Nitewriter said...

I don't want to be a boss ever! Used to but now I'm happy just being in the trenches. I don't "manage" people very well. Sorry to hear about all that's going on. Very happy to hear the flare is better. Not dealing with that pain will ease the overall stress and make the job easier on the nerves :-) take care -- wishing you continued low-pain days.

Subscribe