The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Listen to Your Mother

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Day 3 of the 12 day predinsone taper and I am starting to feel a little better. The joint pain and inflammation is down, although walking is still a little difficult. Hopefully, by the end of the week, I will be back to some state of normal.

I had a long talk with my mom the other day. I told her about all the crap at work.  My mom gave me some great insight on my situation and gave me some no nonsense advice. She told me that I should stick to my guns and do what I think is right. And, I may have to find a way to push issues up the chain. She also said that CD will ultimately hang himself, he doesn't need my help. She worked at a university and knows the politics and bullshit that goes on.  Someone will take note of the crap that is going on and he will have to answer for it.

But the big one was that I should not bail with only four months in. While she and everyone who knows me knows I would never "punk out" the fact remains that the rest of the world may not see it that way. That is reality...I know that. At my age, it does get harder in the market.  I have a high school friend who is my age (45) and having the worst time finding work. I have another friend, late 50's, who has been trying to find a job for the last 3 years. Both are hard-working, extremely talented people. But, the downturn in the economy has not been kind to them.

I'm not saying that this would be my fate as well. My thought is that getting my PhD will open more doors of me in the academic world. Right now, I am limited to the for-profit sector because of my current degrees. Having the PhD will allow me to move into traditional side without the "You have a JD which means jack squat to us".

Lots to consider, but I think I am a little more clear.

I am so glad I was able to talk this through with my mom. What I love about my mom is that she does not sugar-coat anything. But, she does it with kindness and understanding.  I am really glad that I still have her around. At 73, she is quite feisty.  She finally told me that whatever I decide, it will be the right decision.

Thanks, mom!

0 comments:

Subscribe