The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Job Blues

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I've been on the new job for almost a month now. It's been a little overwhelming. I am responsible for monitoring a host of metrics for the college, which are housed on several different platforms. That is enough to drive even the most organized person crazy. Also, because this campus is new, I do not have department chairs that I can delegate some of the monitoring.  (Although, I have been given the OK to begin looking for two new chairs starting this week....YAY!)

This week, I spent a couple of days shadowing another dean to learn the ropes. Mentor Dean is awesome. We bonded instantly. We grew up in the same part of the country and have similar interests. She is very knowledgeable and has great perspective on how to do the job.  That put my mind at ease....

Sort of.

Everyone at work is really rooting for me. My boss constantly reminds me that I am capable because he believes that I am the best person to do the job.  I, on the other hand, feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants, making decisions based on my gut and hoping that it is within policy.

I am not used to being in the position of "Yes, you are the best".  I've always been in the role of the underdog, the person who is told "You can't do this" and then I go into "Oh yeah, watch me work".  It seems odd to me not to have to prove someone wrong.   I've never been placed in a position of confidence. I honestly don't know how to react to it. Part of me thinks that it's not genuine, which I know, intellectually, is ridiculous. 

Ugh...

I think part of the issue is that I am overwhelmed with the level of work right now, meaning the newness of it. Husband calls it the "New Job Blues".  If I was doing the same job at my previous college, it would not be a big deal because I know the ins and outs. This is a new job, with new rules and dynamics.Mentor Dean said it took her a while to get used to all the responsibility. That helps...a little. Maybe I just need to slow down my overachiever brain. 

I wonder if any of the great Blues masters wrote a song about this? 

0 comments:

Subscribe