The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, December 03, 2012

Offer Accepted

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I accepted the offer.  I will be the academic dean at a two year technical college starting in January.

I am going to miss my students and my colleagues. They have helped me reach this point in my career where I could actually entertain an opportunity like this.  But, there is truly no opportunities for me to move up at my current campus with the current administration. And, I know that if I didn't give this opportunity a try, I would truly regret it.  My boss agreed with me that I should be the one to tell the students in my program about my leaving. I think the students should hear it from me.

I am excited to be a part of something new. The campus is relatively new, and all of the baggage and garbage of the previous dean has been cleaned up. So, I have a clean slate to lay a solid foundation. Plus, I will have the chance to hire some people want to do what's right by the students. At the same time, I am a little scared. The buck will ultimately stop at my door. I have to make sure that everything runs the way that it should and have people on my team that share my vision. Plus, there is so much that I don't know.  Yes, there will be training, but training can only give you so much. At least, I have a good gut instinct.

I'm not going to worry about that stuff right now. For now, I think I'll just enjoy the excitement.

13 comments:

MissDazey said...

Congrats! I was hoping you would accept the position. They are lucky to have you.

Karen said...

Congrats!!! I was hoping you would accept too and get away from the drama!

tracynicholrose said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful and exciting news. I understand the jitters but I know you will be fabulous at this job. You have the perfect blend of skills, commitment and passion.

Anonymous said...

congrats, that is great!!

sheepish said...

Congratulations and good luck to you!

TiredProf said...

Congratulations! I was hoping you'd have a chance to take the new position and leave the other mess behind. Good for you!!

phd me said...

That's fantastic!! Congratulations! Change is always a little scary but oh so exciting at the same time. So happy for you!

Nitewriter said...

WOW that is fantastic! Congratulations! I wish I lived where you did cause I'd surely apply for a job with you as dean! Enjoy the holidays and the excitement of the new job. Wow!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Can you explain your "car service," how it works, who pays for it, and will you use it to get to new job. Signed, a curious long time blog reader.

Seeking Solace said...

A car service is basically like a cab, only it's set up on a contract basis. They show up at a set time, rather than calling every time you need a ride. Finally, you don't have that "I'm riding in a cab" feeling.

I pay for this out of my own pocket. Since I am unable to drive due to a disability, I need something reliable. It is more expensive than a cab. Public transport is not very good in my neck of the woods and Husband works in the opposite direction of where I work.

Hope that answers your questions.

Anonymous said...

Congrats SS!!!

GML

Alice said...

Congratulations!

Subscribe