The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Not So Friendly, A 9/11 Post

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am not naive. I know how much crap is spewed on Facebook. It's the place for people to put their views out there for the world to see, regardless of how offensive, judgmental or ill-informed their views are. And, on a day like today, when we should be embracing and supportive each other, I see comments and posts from people that do exactly the opposite.

I am a staunch defender of the First Amendment. The reason the guys in the white wigs put freedom of the expression and religion in the First Amendment was because they remembered what it was like in England and they did not want to repeat that here. So, I believe that one has the right to spew stupid shit, if they wish. But, there is also something called "home training" that says that you be mindful of what you say because not everyone feels the same as you. Not everyone believes in God. It's fine if you do, but don't tell those of us who do not believe in a deity to "Get the hell out of this country because remembering 9/11 does not include you."*

I don't think that's what Jesus would do...just sayin'.

 What is important about today is to remember that for a brief moment, we were not conservatives or liberals, red states or blue states,  gay or straight, believers or non-believers. We were Americans who stood together, supporting each other in our grief and lending a hand to our fellow person. For a moment...none of the other stuff mattered.

So today, I will remember that tragic day. I will think about all those who lost their lives. I will think about how it didn't matter who you voted for or if you pray. We were, for a brief moment, Americans. 

And sadly, tomorrow will be business as usual. 

*Those of you who know me on FB, it wasn't any of the Blog community. It was someone from my hometown. And, I hid the post. 

1 comments:

Kemp@Disposable cups said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Subscribe