The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Waiting Game

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I interviewed for Major Promotion. That Major Promotion that would be my basically doing my current job which a much lower teaching load, plus the demands that come with Major Promotion.

I went in with my "A" game. I brought my passion, drive and a little attorney savvy to the interview. In the end, I think it went very well.  I know of one other person who also applied, as well as one who I heard about through the grapevine. Both of those individuals would be excellent choices as well. I would have no issues if it were one of them instead of me.

But, I really, really want it to be ME!

I know it sounds crazy, but after all the back and forth with whether or not I could handle doing both jobs, I decided that if I want to move up, this is the only way to do it. I know that if I don't take this opportunity now, I am not sure when another is going to come my way. I could look for other opportunites at branch campuses, but I would have to relocate again, which I am not interested in doing. The next move I want to make is to my retirement beach house. 

Also, the other choices for me are extremely limited. It's either stay in my current situation or try to teach law school. I don't have a PhD, so I am limited to where I can teach. Many of you remember how much grief I got at SLAC in Lake Effect Snow Central about my JD being an inferior doctoral degree. Teaching law school would be interesting and a great challenge, but that is extremely competitive. I've made it through the first round of interviews at Prestigious Law School located near Elsewhere, but there are some tangibles that I don't have, i.e. publishing, not attending a Tier 1 law school, etc.

Truth be told, I am quite happy where I am. I am ready to move out of the classroom to being an administrator. The position would primarily have me working with the faculty, which is something I really enjoy. If I were to get the position, I would certainly go back to earn my PhD in Higher Education. It would totally make sense for the demands of the job. And, it helps that the college would pay for most of it!

I am excited because this would also be a new challenge for me. I love new challenges; I don't do well doing the same thing every day. That's why I loved being a general practitioner when I was an attorney. Every day, there was something new.

So, we shall see. I was the last candidate on the list for interviews. Whatever the decision is, it has already been decided. I've done all that I can do. I should know in a couple of days.

Until then, I'll wait.

6 comments:

tracynicholrose said...

How exciting! Good luck, I really hope you get it.

abcsofra said...

Hoping you are the candidate they select. You did your best, the rest will happen. Good luck!

enise said...

All the best to you!

TiredProf said...

Good luck! I hope you get it! Waiting is hard--glad you don't have to wait too long.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck!!

Subscribe