The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Rested

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Around 7:30 last night, I could barely keep my eyes open. Husband suggested that we both get some sleep. We were both exhausted; our work schedules are quite crazy right now. Plus, we had a vigorous workout earlier in the day. So, at 8 PM on a Saturday night, which is usually the time we either are watching a movie or going out to dinner, we were snuggled under the covers with Junior sleeping at our feet.

Twelve blissful hours later, I was awake. Not because Junior was trying to climb on my head, graveling for his breakfast, while I bury myself under the covers begging for five more minutes. but because my body was saying "I'm rested. I am ready to face the world." I popped out of bed, refreshed.

Restful sleep has been a battle for me. My mom says that since I was a baby, I had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I have a hard time shutting off my brain, which makes it hard to fall asleep. Or, I will wake up in the middle of the night, thinking about something I didn't do or should have done. My brain is racing. Sometimes, when I think I am just about to fall asleep again, I wake up again, my mind racing. In the morning, I am tired and grouchy. By week's end, I am exhausted.

I've tried numerous things to help me find restful sleep:  winding down routines, avoiding caffeine, yoga, aromatherapy sprays, adjusting the temperature, Ambien and even kicking Husband out because of his snoring (which is not the result of sleep apnea; he's been tested).  I have a great mattress, which I rotate on a regular basis. I keep the bedroom cool, not too cold or hot. I use 1000 thread count sheets. My bedroom is an oasis for sleep.

I'm just a terrible sleeper.

But, for twelve blissful hours, I slept, soundly.

And, this morning, I feel rested.

5 comments:

phd me said...

Blissful, indeed! More and more, I've been having trouble sleeping, so I know the joy of having a good night's sleep.

Rebecca said...

I am the exact same way, I've *never* been a good sleeper. And I'm currently having a hard time getting my schedule on track, not being able to fall asleep before 4 a.m. for the last few nights. So tonight I'm going to take the one sleeping pill in the house, and hope that will get me back to what is normal for me. This is tough stuff.

Alice said...

Yay! So glad you're feeling refreshed.

rented life said...

yay! I am not a good sleeper either, so I'm so happy you were able to rest. (And good job Junior for not interrupting the 12 hours!)

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! Glad you got a good night to catch up! We all need that more often than we realize! I run on fumes way too often :-)

Subscribe