The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, July 31, 2011

For The Love Of Our Fur-Kids

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Those of you who follow me on Twitter and Facebook have already heard some very sad news. The Boy was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Long story short, he had been having some issues for about three weeks. After an trip to the emergency vet, he was referred to a neurologist at the Veterinary School in Elsewhere. After an MRI, our worst fears were confirmed. After discussing our options, including surgery and radiation, Husband and I decided that the best and least invasive thing to do was to make him comfortable and enjoy the time we have left. The Boy is on steriods and chemotherapy drugs to keep the inflammation and edema at bay for as long as possible.

We are absolutely devastated. Those of you who have followed this blog for a long time know how much the Boy means to Husband and I.  We adopted him when he was a year old. He will be 11 years old next month. He is our fur-kid, truly a one  of a kind dog.

It's hard for me to write about this. So, I will end this post with a request. Those of you who have pet-children, do me a favor and give them an extra hug or a pat on the head tonight. Remember how special, and sadly, how short your time with them is.

15 comments:

Alice said...

Here is a warm hug for you and Boy!

Anonymous said...

I'm currently without fur-kids at my place, but Andy has two awesome dogs who are my God-dogs (i.e. I'll always make a home for them if needed!). I'll give them extra pets and attention...

JaneB said...

I lost my first cat to a similar problem, so much sympathy and empathy to you and Boy. And of course my current Furball will get an extra fuss tonight...

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks so much. The Boy sends wags and sloppy kisses. :)

RA Guy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Boy's situation. It's obvious that you all have not only love for him, but also compassion.

My lovely 13 year old Cairn Terrier also encountered this same thing a few months ago, and we too chose to go the non-invasive route due to her age. We enjoyed our final months together, and said our final goodbyes two weeks ago today.

Give Boy an extra hug from my other two pups, Alva and Oliver.

rented life said...

Hugs for the three of you. Your husband said, so well, that loving our fur-kids is "so worth it" no matter what happens to them.

Queen asks if she can trade in her extra hug for a treat. :P And the Captain sends his craziness :)

post-doc said...

I've been thinking along these lines of late as my Chloe adjusts to being blind. It's heartbreaking to know you're losing such a source of goodness and love and cuddles and I'm so very sorry for you.

Much love - happy walks, lengthy naps and kisses and cuddles - from me and Chloe.

Rebecca said...

I am so very, very sorry to hear about this. And shocked, too, because I haven't been on Twitter very much lately and have missed a whole bunch of stuff.

All of my most positive thoughts go out to the three of you, and my strongest wishes for his comfort. I wish for you all the strength to get through these difficult times and hope you all have much to enjoy in each other's company.

Nan said...

so hard to even find the words to give you any comfort when the pain is so intense over the news. you are so right to enjoy every minute you have with him...and I will take your advice and give my little Bichon an especially long hug today...gentle and caring hugs....Nan

Seeking Solace said...

Again, Thank you all!!! The Boy is doing well, considering...

RL: Tell the Queen that she can have a treat, so long as she shares with Captain!

phd me said...

I'm sorry, Seeking Solace. Even though I'm not really an animal person, I understand the loss of a loved one. I hope you have plenty of hugs, too.

Karen said...

My own doggie got a pat and I pet a neighbor's dog too! Hugs and pats to all of you! I'm a HUGE boy fan and my heart goes out to you all!

Anonymous said...

Hugs for all of you.

Belle said...

Just reading this post and the comments has me sniffling. Give Boy some ice cream in my name, and I'll snuggle my fur-kids double tonight in his honor.

I don't remember where I read it, but there's a story about a boy whose dog has died and his mother wondered why he wasn't devastated. He said something along the lines of 'well, you said we're sent here to learn how to love, right? and he already knew. so he went back home to god.'

Brigindo said...

Oh No!!! I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this. It is the news I dread the most. I've always identified with your relationship to the Boy because of how b and I feel about Pupzilla. She is also 11 and we got her when she was one. We're not yet home from our trip but I'll give her an extra hug and be thinking of you when I see her. Hugs and positive thoughts to you all.

Subscribe