The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, August 01, 2011

Shape Up

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Once again, I am back on the fitness routine. I have great incentive, other than the feeling great, losing weight and so forth. First, my 25th high school reunion happens over the Thanksgiving holiday. But, the even bigger reason is that in November, I will be sworn in to practice law before the US Supreme Court.

You read right...The US Supreme Court.

My goal is to get down to a respectable size because there is an Armani suit with my name on it that will be my attire for the occasion. Also, a pair of Manolo Blahnik or Christian Louboutin shoes will adorn my feet as I take my oath.

Now, I know my RA readers are either thinking "Girl, you better take care of yourself with this working out thing" . And I get it. Having RA and exorcising can be tough. We are limited on what types of exercise we can do. High impact, pounding-like exercise is a big no-no. The joints will not have it. That is a sure fire way to have a flare.

So, to calm all fears, I am being very mindful.  My RA doc has given me her blessing to go forth and conquer. I love the elliptical and it seems to love me back. Water walking and swimming are also on the agenda. Also, I work with very light weights to help strengthen my muscles surrounding my joints. My RA doc says that more repetitions with light weights can be very beneficial, so long as I am up to it. And, since I am in remission,  I am embracing the feeling.

I know that when I am exercising, I do better health-wise with the RA. That doesn't mean that the flares disappear; we all know that flares can show up because they just want to. So, I just want to embrace what I can do, rather than let the illness tell me what I can't do.

Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow. I am lost in awe and admiration. I didn't think you were even practicing law any more. But wishing you the absolute best of luck with it all. Hope to see photos of the suit and shoes when the time comes.

phd me said...

Double wow! Congrats and good luck!

Thrive With RA said...

Hi Seeking Solace,

I found your blog today and wanted to say hello, and CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing to be sworn into the U.S. Supreme Court! A feat of epic proportions in and of itself, but when combined with living with RA...truly astounding! Wishing you all the best. Cheers to you rocking the Armani. Have fun deciding on which shoes to wear!

rented life said...

I'm so proud of you! And I'm with Rebecca on the pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Great goals and no doubt you'll get there!

undine said...

Count me as among the impressed, not only for being sworn in but for youre exercise!

Seeking Solace said...

Rebbecca: No, I am still "retired" from practice. I was selected, along with other department chairs across the country, to be admitted.

Thrive with RA: Thanks and glad you stopped by.

museyme said...

Very cool on all counts!

Subscribe