The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, February 06, 2011

On This Sunday

Posted by Seeking Solace |

For as long as I can remember, football has always been a part of my life. My dad coached high school football and my brother played the game from elementary school until an injury playing for his college team ended his playing days.

On any given Sunday during the season, the TV would be on and you could hear my dad yelling at the images on the screen. Once, he got so mad a bad call, he put his fist through a coffee table! I learned the ins and outs of the game from my dad. Thanks to him, I know the game as well as, or even better than, some men. Since we only had one TV, it was either learn the game or suffer for 20 weeks. Ironically, my dad's favortie team was not the same as mine. He had a love for young team from Tampa, who did not have the greatest record during the 70's and 80's. But during the 80's, they did have something that no other team had. A black quarterback.

I grew up an hour from the home of the Boys in Black and Gold. I can remember watching the Black and Gold play Super Bowls of the 1970's. It was a sense of pride to say that your were from the area that was known for having four Super Bowl titles. During that time, it was needed. The area was a dying rust belt. There wasn't much to cheer about.

As I grew older, I continued to embrace the sport that my father loved, much to the surprise of some and the dismay of others. Guys found my love and knowledge of the sport cool. I've turned down many invites to play on fantasy leagues (Honestly, I don't have the time or desire to do it). Some of my female friends think I am crazy. Once, I was at a get together with some girl friends and they had to drag me away from the TV because I was watching the team from Lake Effect Snow Central.

At home, I am the vocal one in the house. I yell, scream, cuss and occasionally throw things (pillows, usually). Husband is more mellow. They Boy has adjusted to his crazy Mommy. He no longer hides in the other room, thinking that he is in trouble. We don't have people over for games when the Boys in Black and Gold play. I don't want people to see my insane side.

Today, I will be ready. I will have my jersey on. I will have my voice ready to cheers, yell and cuss. Things may be thrown. Husband may need to give me a sedative or possibly use a portable defibrillator.

I come by it honestly.

Dad would be proud.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I was only into the game for a couple of years, during a marriage that didn't last much longer. But when I was into it, I was *really* into it. And during that whole time, my team was the Black & Gold.

I have to admit, though, that the reason I first chose to favor them is because their quarterback was from my home state. But it's always a joy to see something done well and, for a good while, those boys were the best.

Trivia: I went into labor watching them play Monday night football.

Best of luck to your boys. Have a great time watching them play.

Anonymous said...

I'm not into football at all but watch only cause everyone else in the house does. And the food's always better on Superbowl Sunday!

Hope you have a great day and your team wins!!

Subscribe