The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

All I Wanna Do

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today, my students did something that really upset and angered me. I can't really blog about it because I may "out" myself. Needless to say, it was something that did not need to happen. If they had discussed it with me first, I could have helped them find a more productive way to express their point of view. Instead, their display was inadvertently disrespectful to me.

Unfortunately, I lost my cool and lashed out at them in a way that was unprofessional and out of character for me. I have been working on the issue in question for a while, and their display was not helping matters. But, I had no right to lash out the way that I did.

I did apologize to them for my handling of the situation. I told them that while I did not condone what they did, I should not act responded the way that I did. We ended up having a discussion about how what appears to be on the surface is not always the truth. And, that one can only control what goes on in their little corner of the world. Many of the students apologized for their behavior after they realized the impact that it had. And I recognized why they felt the need to do what they did. I just wish they had gone about it a different way that did not put me in a awkward position.

But, I am still frustrated. I am frustrated because it seems that many students and colleauges seemed to be all too concerned with what everyone else is or is not doing. I had one student complain that she thinks it's unfair that one of her instructors makes her and the rest of the class do more work in their course when previous instructors have not required as much work.

Really?

The instructor, with my blessing, is giving the students more challenging work, not as a punishment, but to help them and give them exposure to as many concepts as possible. He gives them ample class time to work on assignments and even works with students outside of class.

Sigh.

I don't understand it. Why are so many people so worried about what everyone else is doing instead of focusing on what they need to do? There is this climate of conspiracy, meaning that somehow many of the students think that there is some ulterior motive for decisions or policies. That despite honest and complete explanations, there is still something sneaky going on or someone is try to "get over" on them. Or worse, that just because they don't hear about the end result, nothing is done to resolve the problem.

Like I, or anyone else, have the time or energy to actively conspire to muck up peoples' lives.

All I wanna do is teach. That's it.

7 comments:

Psycgirl said...

I get so sick of listening to students bitch when I ask them to do work. Sigh. Good for you for explaining and apologizing when you lost your cool - I bet they learned a lot from that

Alice said...

Yes, it's frustrating when students whine about the amount of work.

Anthea said...

I sometimes wonder why students complain since it seems that they've forgotten that they've decided to be there, in the classroom, to learn. Good for you for explaining and apologising why you lost your cool. I hope that they'd learned why and are now thinking more carefully why they are in your classroom.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone:

Anthea, I think you hit the nail on the head. I do believe that students do forget that they are in college to learn and grow as an individual. All the other stuff doesn't matter.

This term, they are all upset about policies. Last term, it was perceived favoritism. If they spent this much energy on their studies instead of other crapola, imagine the result.

Anonymous said...

Can you remind us again -- these are LAW STUDENTS?

Anonymous said...

If they spent half as much time working as they do complaining, the work would be done in record time.

Seeking Solace said...

Anonymous: Actually, they are undergraduate legal students. But, you are right with your outrage.

Sherlock: I told them the exact same thing!

Subscribe