The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First Day

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today was the first day of the new term. I am really tired. Not RA tired, but "It the first day of the term" tired. The steriods are helping, which is a good thing because I probably would not be doing much of anything right now.

This term, I arranged my schedule so that I have two teaching days and three administrative days. This allows me to focus on those areas separately. I have a very large project that will require a great amount of time and effort, so I am glad I am able to have a schedule like this.

Today, My admin duties mainly consisted of dealing with academic issues with students and making sure my faculty were set for their first day. Lots of running around, solving problems and the occasional kicking one or two students in the ass.

Tomorrow, I will be teaching three classes. I am teaching Constitutional Law, which I am very excited to do. It is one of my favorite areas of the law. Given the issues of the past couple of weeks, there is a ton of information to discuss. I am also teaching Legal Research and Writing, another favorite.

But, tomorrow will be another long day...12 hours. I need to be at work a little early to make sure my faculty who teach early classes have everything they need. Plus, they are new. I will not just let a new faculty member walk into their first class alone. I like to introduce them to the students and make sure everything is good before I let them go. My new hire told me today that he really appreciate having me make the introductions. It made the transition more comfortable.

Well, I think it's time for a long relaxing bath and then early to bed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with your new hire -- it's wonderful to have an admin like that. Course I've never had one so I don't know from first hand experience. Wish all my admins had been like you! Get some rest -- hope you're doing better soon.

Subscribe