The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wildfire

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I have moved from anger to complete rage.

My students are incapable of doing a project that requires them to work as a team. Some feel that they cannot be bother to follow the rules of the project. Some feel that they do not have to participate. Some don't understand that "group" means that either everyone turns in the assignment or everyone gets a zero.

And the rest want to bitch, whine and complain.

I have used these projects in the past. I used a peer grading element, so that there are different grades for the team members. It has worked well. Even where there were problems, the students worked it out.

Not this time.

This group sent me into orbit when hey could not manage to turn in a draft of their project. I gave each of them zeros. I told them that they let me down and that I was disappointed in then. I thought they got the message.

Apparently not.

I am getting tired of this bullshit. What do they expect when they are assigned a task on the job and they don't follow through with it? Or, Do they think that they can piss around now and suddenly because they are getting paid?

Not bloody likely.

I am tempted to yank the project from then. But, that would only perpetuate there default behavior of no follow through. I should make them finish it. And if people do not participate, then the team suffers to consequence

5 comments:

Alice said...

Just be careful with those few individuals who work hard. It's good that everybody gets a different grade so non-participation is punished.

Living It, Loving It said...

I have instructors that include each member’s participation as part of the grade. There are always going to be ride riders and that is not fair to the rest of the group. I think it comes down to how well the group deals with the free riders. In my own group project experience, I tell everyone that the show must go on. Most professors know who the free riders are and the rest of us have to put up with their bull to get a good grade. Simple as pie but I am sure it is not always smooth sailing.

Anonymous said...

I hate group projects! I haven't done one in my classes for a couple of years and this semester I decided to give it a go again. UGH! It's horrible. I'll never do another group project in any of my classes. And the students hate them too.

Psycgirl said...

If you take away the project, aren't you just reinforcing the lack of work?

I say sit down and have a very honest chat about what the heck is getting in the way of this project!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks for the comments.

I am going through with the project. I am planning on having a talk with the student who is not pulling his/her weight. I am thinking of removing him/her from the project for failing to comply with the rules. That way, the others can continue with their work and the ones who don't will still receive a consequence for their actions.

Subscribe