The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

An RA Update

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The joints in my hands and fingers are not happy today. I think it's because of the rain. Elbows, knees and hips are starting to murmur too. I don't think it's a flare or anything like that. Just one of those weather related things. I could also chalk it up to a late night a work last night. I had to observe my evening adjunct, so it was an 11 hour day. I also have to work until 8 PM tonight, but I don't have to be at work until noon.

Otherwise, I have been doing better with the RA since moving to Elsewhere. No major flares in almost a year. I think this is because of the methotrexate shots, which I still hate. and the warmer weather. Back in LESC, I always dreaded when September came, because it would get cooler very quickly, which meant that a huge flare was on its way. The transition from summer to fall in more gradual in Elsewhere, so I don't have any shock to the joints. The best part is that I don't have the harsh cold of winter that I used to experience.

The biggest adjustment is working full-time again. I have not worked full-time since 2006 when I closed my practice to focus on teaching. I had to really watch how much I take on, because RA can be very exhausting, even in remission. I can't afford to burn myself out so as to trigger a flare. I have to be mindful of how I feel, and make adjustments. Thankfully, my boss is very understanding and supportive about my situation, unlike some places where I have worked. My boss understands that sometimes I need to take a day off, now and again, for rest or because the joints are behaving badly.

With the full time work means that I had to change other things too. I've gone back to eating a little meat. In the words of Geeka, it's "Meat Light". I guess you could say that I am following the Mediterranean Diet, which focuses on more veggies and fruits and less meat. I make sure that I purchase organic, free range meat products. Sadly, I have little, if any, wine. Can't drink much on the methotrexate.

I just have to mindful of how I feel. I have to recognize that I can't do everything, unless I want to risk going downhill again. I am learning to be a better listener to my RA. So for now, I think everything is working out. I am hoping this is the start of a long term remission.

3 comments:

Brigindo said...

I'm hoping along with you. Sorry you not feeling your best today but I'm glad that things have been better overall.

Rebecca said...

That's wonderful news. Well, not that you're feeling badly today, I'm sorry to hear that. But if things are better on the whole, with the possibility of long term remission, that's fabulous. You seem to be reaping all kinds of benefits from the move you made. Wise decision. Hope everything just continues getting better.

Anonymous said...

The weather changes kill my joints and muscles. I've been about 7-8 on the pain scale for the last week or so. Funny but the only joints NOT affected for me are my elbows :-) You're right to take care and be aware. Even happy events are stressful so take care to get plenty of rest. It's great that your boss is accommodating. Here's wishing you a "flare free" fall (and it feels like a fall day today!). I think it's coming sooner than usual this year. I won't miss the heat and humidity. We must live in the same region of the country :-)

Subscribe