The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trying To Make Some Sense Of It All

Posted by Seeking Solace |

But, I can see it makes no sense at all.

Things are work just don't seem to make sense lately. There have been decisions made by those in power that just make me scratch my head and wonder what the hell people are thinking. One issue involves my program. Another involves a colleague who was let go today. And there are some other instances that are similar to the ones I just mentioned.

I wish I could go into more detail and really rant about it to get it off my chest. Part of me is still a tad paranoid about being outed. But mostly, I am not quite sure how to even comprehend what is going on. I think the latter is because I think in such a logical manner (That's what law school does to you). If it doesn't make sense, it can't be possible or true.

There are things that I see that are just not right. And I don't think anyone who has the power to speak out is willing to step up and do the right thing. Also, there is a lot of mixed messages being floated. I wonder if that is just to pacify the person asking the question. Tell them what they want to hear so they will think everything is OK. Then, tell someone else the oppisite or do the oppisite.

With respect to the issue affecting my program, I want to speak up and say something, but I just don't know what to say or how to say it right now. I have some very strong opinions about the issue that will ruffle a few feathers. Anyone who knows me IRL, knows that I can be very blunt when I need to prove my point and I know I am right (Once again, a product of the law school training). I feel that what appears to be the end result of a situation is the wrong result that is detrimental to the kind of program I believe should exist and to my authority.

Let me just say that for the most part, I do enjoy what I am doing. The vast majority of my job is enjoyable and rewarding. 90% of my students are wonderful, hardworking individuals who have embraced me and what I am trying to do. I have awesome faculty who do a great job and I truly appreciate their input. I know that many people at work like me and respect me.

But this thing that is going on is just bothering me. And I worry that it may impact not only my program but me too.

That part makes sense.

2 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I wonder if it would help to ask your direct supervisor for more information about how the decision was made?

Sometimes I think things are just bad decisions, until I see the other factors that went into it.... then again, if this is the same crowd that hired the B -- then, it could just be a bad decision.

Also, I've had some luck when I could articulate how the bad decision impacts student learning in the long run. For example, last spring they decided to move up our grade deadline -- and I pointed out that doing so would discourage end of semester writing assignments long-term -- and they changed their minds.

Psycgirl said...

I hate that feeling - sorry you're stuck in it!

Subscribe