The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, June 06, 2010

How About Some Cheese?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

This is the whinniest time of the term for students. Mine are extremely whinny. Their biggest complaint is that they want to take Research and Writing next term. Well, the college is not offering it next term. One of the reasons is that many of the students in the program have to have completed Composting I, which is prerequisite. And I refuse to let any student in the course who has not completed the course. If you cannot write a simple essay, there is no way you will be able to handle what I am asking students to do in R & W. I even considered getting permission from the Dean to change one of the courses that I am teaching next term to an R & W class. But, that means that some students will have to find another course to take because there are a few who do not have the prerequisite yet. I am not sure if it is fair to take one required course away for the whole group for the sake of a few.

But, still they whine. "But, I need the class NOW."

So, I tell them that I am willing to put together a couple of workshops on Fridays when class is not in session to work on R & W. If Fridays are a problem, I would consider alternating Saturday mornings for two hours. I don't have to provide them with this, but I am willing to give up my time to help them.

And yet, they whine. "I can't come in on Saturdays". "I have to do this on Fridays."

Seriously, I am tired of all the bitching and moaning. I've given them options. If that doesn't work for them, then there is nothing more I can do but offer them some cheese.

4 comments:

rented life said...

Lol. Composting? No wonder they are failing. :)

Anonymous said...

Brit still makes fun of me for a twenty-year old slip-up in which I said that I liked to go to the IHOP and get blueberry compost on my pancakes.

rented life said...

Now that's an image, Shell! Blueberry compost.

Seeking Solace said...

Blueberry compost...hmmm...

Subscribe