The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, June 04, 2010

Update

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I met with the student in the previous post. I told her that I wanted to discuss something very important and private with her. I explained that I had heard rumors that she was leaving her child home alone. I wanted to bring this to her attention, not because I believe the rumors, but because I wanted to make sure that everything was OK and if she needed assistance, I was there to help her, because the ramifications of such a allegation are very serious. I explained to her my experience as a Family Law attorney and how something like this could be devastating to her and her child.

She began crying, saying that she would never do that and even offered to give me the number of her daycare. She did admit that she has missed classes because of her child being ill and daycare would not take a sick child, so she would stay home. But, she would never leave her child home alone.

I told her that I was glad that the rumors were not true. I also told her that she needs to let me know if she has to miss class to stay home with her child. I can work with her on due dates for assignments. Also, I told her that I can give her a list of resources to help her.

She thanks me profusely for caring about her and also bringing this rumor to her attention privately. She promised that she would let me know if she had any issues.

And that was it.

Now, do I believe her. I don't have any reason not to. I have no addition evidence to the contrary. My hope is that the rumors were just that...rumors. And if it was true, hopefully after our talk, she will not do it again.

6 comments:

jo(e) said...

I admire how you handled this.

Seeking Solace said...

Thank you. I appreciate that so much.

Addy N. said...

I agree- I think you handled it VERY well! Kudos to you. :)

TiredProf said...

Brava! Good call.

Seeking Solace said...

Thank you both. :)

rented life said...

You're so awesome. And now she knows that she has someone looking out for her!

Subscribe