The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Hungry Dog

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Before we moved to Yankee Transplant, I had to start the Boy on flea/tick treatment. I never had issues with fleas or ticks with the Boy or any of my previous four footed friends. But in Yankee Transplant, fleas and ticks are a big problem.

The Boy is on Advantick. It keeps the Boy from being infested with the little buggers. But, it doesn't keep them from biting. About two weeks ago, the Boy was bitten by a flea with resulted in an allergic reaction. The Boy scratched and chewed on his rump to the point of infection. We took him to the vet who shaved a small patch around the infected area and cleaned the wound. The Boy started antibiotics and prednisone.

Yep, the same prednisone that I take when I have an RA flare.

One of the side effects of prednisone is that you are hungry...all. the. time. I know this from first-hand experience. I am ravenous. Well, it's the same for dogs. In the Boy's case, he doesn't stop begging for food. Now, the Boy is very food driven. He loves his snacks, espeically bananas. But, this has gone to the extreme. Every time Husband or I go to the kitchen, the Boy is nipping at our heels, begging for a treat. Yesterday, he barked at Husband because Husband wasn't getting his dinner fast enough. I think if the Boy had thumbs, he would raid or refrigerator or call the SPCA because we weren't feeding him enough! Usually a box of treats lasts about a month. It's been two weeks and the box is empty.

Oh, and the peeing. The Boy must have a reserve tank because I've never seen anyone empty THAT much out of their bladder.

At least the Boy is starting to grow some hair around his rump!

3 comments:

MissDazey said...

Boy, do I know exactly how Boy feels. I know he can't understand, poor thing. How long will he be on it?

The good thing is he won't have to buy new clothes. I am on hydrocortisone, gained 2 dress sized in 6 weeks.

Seeking Solace said...

I know! I have gone up and down in weight with that stuff for the last 9 years.

He finally finished the meds and getting back to normal. But, I think he is still begging for treats because he can! :)

Karen said...

Awww Hungry Boy! He is SO milking it I bet just to see how many treats he can get now. LOL

Subscribe