The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 06, 2009

Shot In The Arm

Posted by Seeking Solace |

After taking methotrexate in pill form for the past year, my new RA doc has me taking it as an injection. This means I have to give myself an injection similar to when a diabetic has to take insulin.

There is one problem. I HATE NEEDLES!!!!

Husband is charged with giving me my injection. The first attempt did not go very well. I screamed and cried the whole time. Poor Husband was just beside himself. He so wanted to help me and just hated that he was hurting me.

Thankfully, our new friend, M, is a nurse. She gave Husband a second training in giving me the injection. It's much better now. I barely feel the needle going in my arm. And I haven't cried.

But, Husband still needs a stiff drink after giving me the shot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad this is going better for both of you.

Brigindo said...

I'm glad you're working through it but I so sympathize with Husband. I can't imagine b giving me a treatment that terrorized and made me scream. I know he would want to do it because it was best for me but it would kill him having to be the one to do it.

Seeking Solace said...

It is a little hard for Husband. He so wants me to be well, but the thought of hurting me is so tough. Thankfully, M was such a great help. She did offer to do the injections if Husband ever feels like it's too much.

RageyOne said...

I'm okay with taking shots, but I am extremely glad I don't have to give them to myself.

I feel for ya, and Husband.

Breena Ronan said...

I sympathize with Husband. I have been giving Beorn weekly Methotrexate shots for a few months now. Luckily he's pretty brave about it. He just looks away and tries not to flinch too much. Now we have added Enbrel shots but those are semiautomatic so he does those himself. He just has to push a button and it injects. I'm sorry to hear that needles are so scary for you. I'm not fond of them myself, but I don't have to deal with them every week. :(

Subscribe