The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Exam Murmurs

Posted by Seeking Solace |

  • Today's plan is to write the first exam for my ethics class. It seems early to give an exam, but with the course being only six weeks, it has to be done.
  • I am not sure how long it will be. I wonder if I can use the Simpsons like I do for my law exams.
  • I do not give make up exams or allow students to take an exam early. Instead, I drop the lowest test score. So, if a student has to miss a test, they don't have to worry about a make up. Also, if a students does really well on the first three tests and has an A for the course, they can be excused for the last exam. This is great at finals time, when there are other demands on their time.
  • It's also great for me because i don't have to make up a different exam!
  • I do DMV style testing. In other words, I have Test A and Test B. It's just a matter of scrambling the questions.
  • Alright then, time to start creating.

2 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

In terms of length -- I tend to plan for about 1 multiple/t/f question per minute... maybe about 5 minutes per "term" (kind of like a short-answer style definition) and about 30 minutes per essay.

Anonymous said...

One of the many things I like about online teaching is exam time. At some schools where I teach, finals are proctored so they can't look up answers in the textbook.

I can put in a set of 3-5 times as many questions as I have on the exam (I get these from the textbook publisher) and then set it to scramble the questions with every student.

Usually I put in several MC and TF (these are automatically graded so I don't have to grade them) and then some short answer and essay questions (which I do have to grade).

Students go to the proctor site, take the exam, and all I have to do is grade the short answer and essay questions.

Subscribe