The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 23, 2009

Don't Speak

Posted by Seeking Solace |

If there is one word in the English language that just offends me to the core of my being, it's the "N" word. It's not just the historical connotation that comes with the word, but the flagrant use of it as either a term of endearment or as a way of people describing their own race.

I don't use it. And I don't like when people around me use it.

Today, in a discussion about rape, one of my students use the word to describe men at a night club. She said that there are those "N's" that are just interested in one thing.

Yes, she used the word.

I was absolutely floored. You see, the way that she said it was so nonchalant, like it was everyday conversation. Like it was nothing.

I told her that she was not to use that word in my presence of in my class...ever. That word, either in the slang or pejorative sense, is offensive and unacceptable.

The student seemed taken aback, she looked at me as if to say "But, I thought you would understand."

I heard that one before. I had a student a few years ago who did the same thing, only she actually said "I thought you would understand."

No, what I understand is there is no way you can spin that word to make it anything other than what it is.

Offensive.

4 comments:

RageyOne said...

good for you! i'm totally with you on the offensiveness of that word. i don't use it and i have expressed my displeasure with those around that use that word.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

100% agreed, and good for you for chastising her. It's a horrible word.

Anonymous said...

I remember that earlier situation. That has to be frustrating.

Psych Post Doc said...

I feel the exact same way and have the same reaction with other people say it. I've told off friends, family and strangers, seriously there is no need.

Subscribe