The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Way It Is

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I had a meeting with the Dean. I was tired of feeling out of sorts with my situation and I needed to know where I stood. Prior to the meeting, I had a conversation with the HR director who told me suggested that I have the meeting, just to get my feelings out in the open. She also said that she was also irritated with the whole situation as well.

Anyway, I told the Dean exactly how I felt. That I have accepted the job on the premise that I would be running the department and teaching. I told him that while I did not blame him or the HMFIC for the end result of the B still keeping her job, I was frustrated, confused and angry. Above all, I wanted to know what was in it for me if I were to stay.

He told me that the powers that be in the corporate office said that becuase the B was granted the exception that the HMFIC's marching orders were to keep her and fire me. The HMFIC and the Dean said that they did not want to fire me because they felt that I was a way better instructor than the B and they did not want to lose me. He said that he would completely understand if I wanted to bail. But, he hoped that I would stay on board for the following reasons. First, that they could get me into the classroom when the mid-session starts, although it would not be law, it would be teaching something that I am qualified and have taught before. Also, there are some administrative tasks with the accreditation for the program that I could do where I would not answer to the B, but to the Dean. Second, although the powers that be said that the B could stay, that does not mean that she is not immune from being fired for other reasons. She is currently pulling some of the same crapola that she has in the past. Now, that the Dean and the HMFIC know what needs to be done, they are already getting their ducks in a row. Third, if I did decide to stay, I could leave if I felt that the situation was unbearable. I would be free to seek other employment during this transition time. And if I did decide to leave and wanted to come back, they would re-hire me in a second.

OK, the fact that the HMFIC and the Dean stuck their necks out for me is huge. They could have said "Sorry Seeking Solace, but the powers that be said that she stays so don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out." That was encouraging. Not too many people are willing to go that far for someone.

Also, the fact that there is a plan in place for me makes me feel better. Yeah, I would love to continue teaching my classes. But if I did, I would have to answer to the B. The B would make my life a living hell (that is if I didn't kill her first). She is known to sabotage others that work under her. If I stay, I would have nothing to do with her. However, it would not be teaching what I really want to teach.

There is the possibility of her f-ing things up to the point that she will get bounced. At that point, I would be poised to take over. Husband raised the point that if that did happen, I could also use that opportunity to seek a raise as a result of my "loyalty". On the flip-side, who know if or when any f-ing up will occur.

Once again, I have a lot to consider. I have to make a decision ASAP.

13 comments:

Nels said...

I'm getting good vibes about your dean. Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do because I know I'm not seeing it all in what you're writing, but I do like what you've shown us of him.

Seeking Solace said...

Nels: Me too. When I first met him, I instantly felt comfortable. I've never felt that way about a boss.

Brigindo said...

Although the entire situation is messed up it does sound like the Dean has given you the best option: you can stay, teach, and look for a new job without any ramifications. If you are truly not under the B's thumb then the nasty parts of the job may soon go away.

One thought that may help you with the deciding: if you had been offered the current job (teaching outside of law but what you've taught before, with some administrative tasks and a dean you feel comfortable with) originally, would you have taken it, at least temporarily while you continued to look for a more suitable one?

Seeking Solace said...

Brigindo: That is an excellent point. I was going stir crazy at home with no job. I probably would have taken the job if it meant teaching something that I was qualified to do with some admin stuff thrown in. It would have been good resume fodder.

Sherlock said...

Sometimes we can't teach exactly what we want to --but it's worth it to get the foot in the door. In your case, it's keeping the foot wedged there to keep the door from slamming shut. I think you should stay, teach whatever, and be patient and wait it out. The B will probably be gone before too long and then you'll be IN.

Sounds like your dean is looking out for you. The end result will be worth the patience in the meantime.

Good luck!

Rebecca said...

FWIW, I agree with what everyone has said.

I don't think it's possible for them to have offered you any more of a deal than some teaching AND admin while not having to answer to the B, their approval to seek other positions AND the offer to return if your original position becomes available again if you left to take something else.

They really, really want you there. And why leave now if you don't have something else lined up, you don't have to answer to the B, you like your bosses and can search for other positions while teaching something your familiar with and getting a little different admin experience?

After all, what would you do if you left? Look for more work, right? Well, you don't have to quit to do that, you can continue getting a paycheck and not worry about your employers finding out.

I don't see how it can be more win-win than that.

Unless you hate it. Unless the B, or something else, can somehow still make you miserable. Then you go.

But, as it stands, it sounds like they've offered you everything in their power that you could ask of them. If nothing else, that is extremely flattering from people you haven't been dealing with very long.

Oh well, go with your gut. I'd say your instincts are probably pretty well honed. Good luck!

Albatross said...

Wow, Dean sounds awesome! I don't have any good advice, just glad to hear things are starting to be a bit clearer.

Heidi said...

Don't worry, B WILL screw this up. I'm not saying next week, but I'm guessing if you can hang in there (give the Dean's interest and your own desire to teach)she will hang herself before the end of the year. Right now she thinks she's invincible because she 'won' and made them take her back. This overconfidence will make her do something really stupid. Stay the heck out of her way and I'm guessing you'll get what you should have had in the first place.

I'm so sorry this is all happening! Thinking of you and hoping the RA is not flaring with all of this stress.

chel said...

I've not read the other comments yet, but I think it sounds like too much drama and too much instability. I still think that even though the dean is supportive, the fact that they let this situation develop is a potential sign of leadership gone awry. It does not sound like they're in control, and based on the performance so far, I wouldn't put a lot of stock on their ducks in a row. I know it feels good to have someone validate your role as an instructor and your credentials, but it looks like some B.S. reading it.

Also, what administrative tasks do they have in mind? What are the other classes you'd be teaching? Anything you're interested in?

What does your intuition tell you? From reading this, mine says, Boo. But I'm not in it and there.

chel said...

OK, so I guess I'm not necessarily in agreement with the other commenters, and I do know about the whole going crazy at home thing, so maybe staying under these circumstances would be a good bridge to what you may get out of it or have in the future.

Seeking Solace said...

I would be teaching ethics and writing, which I have taught and dio enjoy. The admin stuff has to do with accredidation fior the program beyond what the B is doing. It is indrr the supervison of the dean.

RageyOne said...

It is good that you have the support and backing of the Dean & HMFIC. It sounds like they have been put in a bad position as well. At least you can take comfort in that and the fact that they recognize how great you would be at that job, and what an excellent professor you are.

I hope it all works out for you.

chel said...

That sounds workable, and if you feel good about working for the dean and can avoid the B, maybe it would work out. Hoping for the best for you. TGIF no matter what? !

Subscribe