The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, October 16, 2009

Now For Some Good News

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Because of all the drama with the job, I didn't get to blog about my first visit with my new RA doc.

Well, in a nutshell, she's awesome. She was very nice and easy to talk to. She was to get more aggressive in my treatment. She thinks that fact that I have any pain is unacceptable. She wants me to have the life I used to have before I got sick. Even running.

You heard me right...running. Something that I loved to do but thought i would never be able to do again.

She wants to switch my methotrexate from pills to injections. That, I was not thrilled about because I HATE NEEDLES. Husband had to learn how to give me the injections because with my vision problems, it would be hard for me to see the air bubbles. She wants to change my pain meds to a different NSAID (Non Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drug). Finally, she want X Rays of my hands and feet to see how much joint damage, if any exists. If no significant damage, we stay the course. If there is, then it's time for something else, possibly the biologic drugs.

I am really excited about the prospect of getting back to where I used to be physically. But, I am not excited about the needles!!!!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's truly fabulous news. I feel the same way about needles, I can't even look when having blood drawn. But to get back to where you were before, to actually be able to run...wow. It's gotta be worth it, right?

Sounds like that new doctor is a real find. Hope everything works out just like she plans. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful!! This is good news indeed!

Are the injections daily, weekly? Can you get the med in pre-loaded injection drums, sort of like insulin for diabetics? Then it's just click, press, and shoot, no looking required :-)

rented life said...

I get weekly allergy shots. I'd say you get used to the needles but that's not really a fair statement. I just think "ok, this is five minutes of my life (less really) that will help make the rest of my life MUCH easier!" Just keep saying it over and over again. And don't ever look. (I think you said you don't anyway.)

Seeking Solace said...

I have to do the shots weekly, just like the pills.

I don't know if they can preload them. One of my new friends here is a nurse, so she is going to help out.

RageyOne said...

That is great news (with the exception of the needles)!

Subscribe