The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Help Me If You Can

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I spoke to Awesome Former Colleague tonight about the "situation". She advised me to stick with the job...for now. Her reasoning?

  1. Since they can't get rid of B because of her qualifications, they are probably waiting for her to screw up.
  2. She's also under contract, so they could choose not to renew.

Therefore, if I be a good little solider, I will get my reward. And, since I don't have anything waiting in the wings, well, a bird in hand...

Awesome Former Colleague always has good advice and knows what to do. But, I still have to process all of this. In the meantime, I started searching again. Dream Law School that I applied for a faculty position last year and made it to the hiring committee, has posted two positions that I am qualified. I will work on those this weekend.

Today, B was running around hugging colleauges letting them know how happy she was that she was staying. She said that the school was just wrong and she had to "correct their mistake". I overheard her on the phone with a student (She just "happened to be sitting in a cubical near me where I could hear). She was say "Oh, don't you worry, I am here now and no one is taking over. I had to "rectify" the situation.

Damn, I was sitting nearby within earshot. You think that was for my benefit? Can I get a oh yeah?

The thought of working in the same environment, next to the person whose job was supposed to be mine, but now isn't, has just sucked the life out of me. I just don't know if I can continue to work like that, hoping that something will happen.

Like I said, I have to process all of this.

11 comments:

Albatross said...

Geez, as if the situation wasn't bad enough, B really has to go around being a Queen B...

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything to say that isn't profane. seriously. this situation...I don't know how you're handling it. you rule.

Rebecca said...

I still say, if you hate it, leave. You can do it in a dignified manner and no one would fault you for choosing not to remain in an untenable situation.Hope all works out for you soon.

Anonymous said...

I thought they were moving you to another department? If so and you won't be around her, then I'd recommend sticking it out. AND looking for another job in the meantime. I would think your dean would give you a great reference given the situation should you decide to take another job. Keep applying.

And ask to be moved elsewhere away from B.

It's a tough situation but you can handle it and that will just make you look all the better while she continues to look like a complete B and a fool on top of that.

Good luck.

Seeking Solace said...

How am I handling this? Since I can''t drink, I listen to the Who, eat lots of chocolate and cry to Husband. He has been such a sweetheart through all of this.

TiredProf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TiredProf said...

Sherlock is right: if you're going to stay, they should move you. They're the ones who created the hostile work environment, but you're the one who is having to live it.

Sounds as if you've been agreeable and a good "team player" through this whole debacle, so now's the time to assert yourself and show that your cooperation and flexibility have limits (and that they've been reached).

And while I really, really hope the situation improves and that you eventually get everything they're promising you because of your cooperation through this, don't count on it. I speak from some experience here...

I still find the whole situation unbelievable. {{hugs}}

rented life said...

I'm going to be blunt (what else do I ever do?). You already KNOW what people like B are like. You left a few organizations when you lived Up North where there were people like that. You know they can make life miserable and you'll have to try to play nice to deal with her and that that might not ever work. Are you ready to do that? We all know you can, you've done it before (and I won't name names). Do you want to?

I would request a meeting with the Dean. Ask him/her: What are your intentions for me this academic year? What about over the course of 5 years? 10 years? Explain that your goal is to move up in the world, and that you want clear answers. What your dean or HMFIC says to these can give you a clearer indication of what you should be doing for yourself. (I say this as someone who was promised if I just toughed it out I'd be rewarded too and now I'm unemployed. So I'm jaded.)

Also, I get what Former Colleague was is saying in all her awesomeness BUT--will the money make you happy enough? You can do all sorts of thing with money, but will it be good enough for you to go into work and clock out at the end of the day and leave it all there--knowing that you're not doing what you wanted?

And we'll all keep our fingers crossed for Dream Law school.

GML said...

I agree with RL. It sounds eerily similar to some of the crap you dealt with up here. Yes having a job with a paycheck and an impressive title is nice, but is it worth it? This stress and aggravation could trigger a RA flair.
Even if B does leave, do you really want to be at a place where from the sound of it, is just toxic and dysfunctional?
I will support you either way.

Karen said...

Just sending hugs and virtual chocolate and alcohol!

nemo said...

I think you said it best at the end of this post: it's sucking the life out of you. I can't really opine here because personalities differ, but if it were me, the sucking the life out would be the ultimate sign, and I would cut it. Life's too short.

Subscribe