The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Getting Lean and Mean

Posted by Seeking Solace |

As I continue working on my project, I am amazed what little stamina I have right now. I thought I could jump back into research and writing. After all, I have always enjoyed it. I have some great ideas. I have time on my side. I should cruise through, right?


Nope.


I realize that I can only handle a couple hours a day of the stuff. That's nothing like my grad and law school days where I would research and write until the wee hours of the morning, or stay up all night. Even during my attorney days, I could pound out a memorandum of law or appellate brief in no time flat.

My brain and my eyes are a few years older now. They get tired. I get tired.

Like any new endeavor, the temptation is to just dive right in and push yourself really hard. Maybe it's the excitement of a new project. Maybe it's the need to feel like you have accomplished something. Or, it's the thought that you can work at that same level that you did in the past. After all, how hard can it be?

Instead, I am sitting here asking myself " What the hell happened to that research and writing machine that I used to be?"

I suppose, like anything else, you have to build yourself up to your optimum cruising speed. If you haven't exercised for a while, you don't get on the tredmill or the elliptical, set the incline to 8 and speed to 6 and run three miles. It would result in great pain. You probably wouldn't even finish. After a few days of it, you would quit thinking it wasn't worth it, it was just too damn hard or fill in the blank with the excuse de jour.

I have to look at this project as I did my return to exercise. I have to "train" for this project. That means having a schedule of "workouts" for a set duration. Start slow and gradually build. Set realistic goals and be accountable for my progress. Rewards for good progress and not beating myself up if I don't meet expectations. No "all or nothing" thinking.


I can do that.

This week's plan is to complete five hours or research and analysis. I will keep you all posted on my progress at the sidebar.


In no time, I will be a lean, mean research and writing machine!!!!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have no doubt whatsoever that you can do it. And I think that you will benefit in many ways by doing so. Go for it. Smartly.

Brigindo said...

I think that is so true. My research and writing stamina is pretty high right now but, like working out, even a few days off and I'm feeling a little sluggish. I think you're plan is optimal.

The Grand Inquisitor said...

surely you aren't longing for the days of being a law student. that time was awful, just awful

Subscribe