The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 10, 2008

NaBloPoMo 2008: No Good Excuse

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I had lunch today with a very dear friend from law school. She is in the process of getting a divorce. Her husband was cheating on her for over a year. He even had the other woman in their bed!

The whole thing sucks. My friend is one of the sweetest persons I know. She is a brilliant attorney, a great mother and a wonderful friend. There are also children involved which makes the situation more difficult.

When I was practicing matrimonial law, I could easily separate myself from working on a divorce. I had no connection to the parties. But when divorce hits close to home, it's different. This one hit me hard. I stood up for them when they got married. I hate what he did to my friend. I hate how he treated her. I hate the effect that it has on the kids. There is no excuse for adultery.

It's selfish and narsarsistic.

One positive thing that has come out of it is that my friend is doing really well. She looks amazing and has a very positive outlook. She has "forgiven" him in the sense that she has let go of the anger and resentment. That is one of the things I admire about her. She is one of the strongest, most resilient people I know. To be able to let go shows great strength and character on her part.

But, I still want to kick his ass. Or maybe burn all his stuff like in Waiting to Exhale.

2 comments:

Arbitrista said...

She must be a very forgiving person. If it were me, I'd wallow in bitterness for at least 20 years. Sorry she's going through this.

Seeking Solace said...

Yeah, I would have burned all his stuff. But I am one of those revenge types.

Subscribe