The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NaBloPoMo 2008: Why?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am sitting here while my law class is taking an exam and I have some random thoughts...

~Why did my college choose to close for Columbus Day but not Veteran's Day?

~Why am I having sinus problems this time of year when it has already snowed in Lake Effect Snow Central?

~Why does life have to be so challenging for certain friends of mine who are having a rough time right now?

~Why are my freshman so freaking annoying this year compared to last year?

~Why should AIG get more money or renegotiate their loan?

~Why should the auto industry be bailed out when it's the company and the unions that ran it into the ground?

~Why don't more stores like K-Mart bring back layaway?

~Why did Proposition 8 pass? Seriously, who does it hurt if gays marry? It's the same struggle that my parents went though as an interraical couple in the '60's.

Do have any "why" thoughts?

6 comments:

comebacknikki said...

Why do so many people have trouble understanding four-way stops? Seriously, it's not that friggin' difficult!!!

Seeking Solace said...

Yeah, that one should be a no-brainer.

k8 said...

I'm with you on the sinuses thing.

As for auto industry - I have mixed feelings about this one. I come from an area that is highly dependent on the auto industry - there's a lot of manufacturing related to it in this area. When the auto industry has trouble, a lot of people lose their jobs and these people had nothing to do with the auto companies decisions. So, I worry about all of these people in related industries. In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I have family that works in these related industries, some of whom have been put on reduced work schedules (3 days a week rather than the usual 5).

I have little to no sympathy for AIG, especially after their post-bailout corporate parties. Truly disgusting.

Seeking Solace said...

K8: I also live in an area that has many auto manufacturing jobs. My issue is that the UAW and others in the auto industry do not have to pay for health care or other benefits, where most other positions must pay. I don't think it's fair to ask the government to bail out the deal that was made between the auto workers and the industry. That is something those two groups are going to have to work out on their own. Otherwise, we will be setting a dangerous precedent, if we have not already.

k8 said...

Oh, I agree. It's just seeing the collateral damage up close that's making it feel more murky. And these companies and workers had no say in the decisions the automakers and the UAW. For me rationality usually wins out in the end, though.

Brigindo said...

Your last why question has wiped all the others out of my brain for the last week.

Subscribe