The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Medical Update

Posted by Seeking Solace |

My RA doc increased the methotrexate dosage. She said that she had started me on a conservative dosage but it was clear that the meds were not doing what they should. So, the plan is to try the increase for six weeks. If that does not work, then we should consider one of the other RA drugs on the market. These new drugs are called Biologic Response Modifiers , like Humira, Enbrel and Remicade.

One of the major side effects is the possibility of lymphoma, which is problematic for me because my mom currently has Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. There is a Biologic called Rituxan which ironically my mom used as part of her chemotherapy. I guess it works for both RA and cancer.

The thought of cancer scares the crap out of me. I guess the number of RA patients who develop cancer is small, but my doctor is concerned that the biologic may make things worse, given the situation with my mom. She wants to try the increase first, and hopefully, the increase dosage of methotrexate will do the job. In the meantime, I have to complete all the protocol for the biologic treatment. So, I got a TB test today and I will have to get a chest X-ray soon.

My doc did say that the increase in methotrexate should not cause any increase in hair loss. That's a relief. Still no alcohol.

Everyone is frustrated, me, Husband and even my RA doc. I was doing so well for a long time. Now, it just seems like I am fine for a couple of weeks and then I get a nasty flare that is just unbearable. It's hard to predict when a flare shows up or how bad it will be. And finding the right medication cocktail is the hardest part of all.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Ugh. Hugs to you and here's hoping the planets align and the flare up gets under control.

Until then I'll keep drinking for you!

rented life said...

Hugs (gentle ones of course)

RageyOne said...

Sending hugs from way down South. I hope the increase proves to do better.

JMKH said...

I was wondering if a voice -activated computer system wouldn't be useful to you when you have flare ups.
I hope that the increase works for you.

Unknown said...

I hope this does the trick!

BrightStar (B*) said...

You put on my blog that you're feeling a bit better. I hope November is a better month for you. I'm pulling for you!

Subscribe