The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, September 08, 2008

Pick A Side

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am grading the first assignment from my business law class. They have to pretend that they are the judge and decide a real case based on a condensed version of the facts and argument. It's a series of assignments in the text that focuses on critical thinking and problem solving skills.

Many of the students seem to have a difficult time making a decision. They seem reluctant to take a position and support it. It seems like many of my students are afraid of being wrong. (If one were savvy, one could just google the case and find the real decision.) Instead, I get these wishy-washy responses that lack any sort of unequivocal stance.

I have told them that while I do look for the "right" answer, the student has to get the right answer for the right reason. I explain to them that there are certain terms and theories that I expect in their response. How well they use the theories in presenting their answer is more important than giving me the "right" answer.

More importantly, even if the student comes up with the "wrong" answer, they may have provided a solid legal argument. I can't completely fault them for that. I want to give them credit for good reasoning and problem solving, even if the result is incorrect. In that case, they will get some credit.

But that brings up my previous thought. Why are students so afraid to make a decision or take a stand? I have students who will instantly clam up if I challenge them just the smallest bit. Even if I allow the classes to discuss the issue without any input from me, there seems to be this paralysis. Is it a product of their background, meaning they are a product of the "no losers" mentality? Are they afraid that if they make the wrong choice, it will reflect badly on them?

What I may try is to have them act out the problems and present them to me. Perhaps if they are told to take a position, it may be the spark that leads them to do it on their own.

1 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Been there, done that -- burned the t-shirt!

I have this all the time. I present a controversial ethical topic and they won't tell me what they think..

It is hard, but I finally had some success when I explained the difference between fact and opinion --with the caveat that opinions can be well-founded and must be so to be interesting. I then ask them to give an interesting and well-founded answer to the question... and things got marginally better.

They also got better when 'I'm divided on this' became not an acceptable answer. I tell them that if they really don't know, they should pick a side and look at justifying their choice as an academic exercise, not a statement of their opinion that will haunt them for life.

Now that I write that, perhaps that is the real root of the problem -- they've grown up in a world in which every little opinion is on the internet and they've seen people roasted for old thoughts -- so, in case their position changes, they don't want to be tied to it... hmmm.

Subscribe