The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hair Today

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I had an appointment with my hairstylist. My color was looking horrible; I was long overdo. Also, I wanted to see how much damage the methotrexate did to my hair.

Well, it did some serious damage. I have hair breakage around the front and top of my head, all the way to the scalp. It is much weaker there too.

My stylist said that the best thing would be to do the color, but I can no longer use my flat iron or have my hair chemically straightened. Those processes are just to rough for my already traumatized hair. My stylist, who is just the most awesome stylist ever, gave me a wonderful cut that just looks too cute. And the curls do hide the damage, which is a good thing.

So, it's back to being a curly girl for me.

OK, I know what your thinking. "Jeez SS, I have wanted curly are all my frickin' life. And you have naturally curly hair that you straighten???

Well yeah. See the grass isn't always greener. My hair is very unruly and hard to manage when it is curly. On humid days, my hair looks like Marge Simpson minus the blue. And on days when the RA is acting up, I have a hard time combing it. Those of you naturally curly girls know what I mean!

But, I am happy with the result. I know that things would have to change as a result of the methotrexate. It is working in the sense that I do feel better. The nausea and dizziness are not too bad and only last about a day or so. And there are some great products I can use to help with my hair to help it become stronger and act less unruly.

And that's reason to be happy and thankful.

7 comments:

Prisca said...

I'm glad to hear you like the new look. That is some consolation for having to endure the new drug. Thank goodness for a good stylist! :)

Karen said...

OMG if someone told me I had to live without my flat iron...I can't even bare to imagine! I've got unruly hair too, a lovely frizzy selectively wavy/curly combo....ick

Glad you got a cute cut! Hang on to your stylist....good ones are SO hard to find.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Good news about the new do!!

I have curly/fuzzy hair -- and even the chemical straightening products don't work -- it bounces back after a couple of weeks.

I use Rusk's styling product Wired. It keeps the curl from getting to friz... it would probably be good on the days your RA is bad -- you can just put some on your hands and smooth it into your hair and let it go.

Anonymous said...

I wish we could see pictures! I think I can imagine how your hair must be, since I also deal with unruly, curly hair that MUST be worn up on a daily basis- of course, it isn't my own hair! And does D wish that hers could be straight... I love her curls, even is she doesn't.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone. :)

Kai: I can't imagine life without my CHI flat iron. I love my CHI!!!!

ITPF: The last chemical straightener I had really rocked. I think it was from Rusk. I will look for the Rusk stuff you suggested.

Addy: Right now, my hair is kind of wavy-curly becuase my stylist did a lot of scrunching to bring out the curl. My last straightening was in July, so my hair is wonder why I am trying to make it go curly!

I know how D feels. I always hated my curly hair!!!!

rented life said...

cant wait to see the new look.

k8 said...

I've always been curious about the fact that people are rarely happy with the hair they have. I know I'm not. While I'm too lazy to do anything about it, I think about what it would be like if it were different.

I wonder how so many of us got this way?

Subscribe