The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Workout Etiquette

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I like to hit the gym no later than 6:30 on a weeknight in order to aviod the after dinner rush. It's nice because by the time I am done, the crowd starts up.

There were only two people in the cardio room. One person was using a treadmill, the other was stretching. Since there are about 10 treadmills in the cardio room, I selected the treadmill I wanted to use, set my water bottle down in the holder and went to get some paper towels to wipe the machine down. When I returned, the guy who was stretching was standing on the opposite side of the tredmill I was ready to use.

"I was going to use that tredmill." he said snarkily.

I wanted to say "Dude, the water bottle is down, so step off." Instead I said "Whatever, dude." and moved over one tredmill.

Dude did not have anything indicating that he had the tredmill first. And there were 9 other tredmills he could have used.

And whatever happened to chivilery? Sure, I am all for feminism, but at least I could have had the chance to say, "No dude, you go ahead." if he had politely asked if he could use that particular tredmill.

Husband calls it a lack of man-training...and being an asshole.

Cross posted at the Active Academic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude. jack. ass.

Arbitrista said...

No manners at all.

RussianViolets said...

"Lack of man-training"? Priceless. And that dude? Just an asshole.

Psych Post Doc said...

What an ass. What is so special about that treadmill anyway?

Wayfarer Scientista said...

hmmm...my workout place only has two treadmills so there is no taking dibbs - if you're on it, you're using it. Otherwise you aren't. Still, I agree, he seems a bit of a jerk. What was your response?

Subscribe