The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Injured Reserve

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am dealing with a serious medical problem that has me stuck at home for a few days. I developed what is believed to be an infection that has settled in my right ankle and joint. My ankle is the size of a tennis ball and I cannot walk on it. As it stands (no pun intended) right now, I am waiting for the results of a culture and for the antibiotics to kick in.

The strange thing is that I did not notice any problem until Monday night when I took a shower before bed. My ankle was swollen, red and painful. At first, I thought I had sprained the ankle. But, I do not remember falling or twisting it. I did have a couple of cuts on my leg from shaving, but they were covered with bandages and I was using topical treatments to help with healing. I don't heal well from cuts or bruises, and these cuts were about a week old.

Husband took me to the doctor yesterday. The thought is that some kind of infection (I did have a sinus infection a week ago) may have resulted in this possible infection. So, it's antibiotics, rest, ice and all that stuff.

A little humor...I mentioned to the doctor that I am EXTREMELY needle phobic. But in the interest of getting better, I was willing to suck it up and get the shot. When the nurse came in, she said I should lay down on the examining table (I was in a wheelchair) because she had to insert a needle, which she held up in front of me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, I took a deep breath, leaned over on the table, slide my jeans down a little and held Husband's hand...

YIPE!

I could hear someone outside the exam room asking if everything was OK.

Yeah, right. I just got a shot in the ass with the mother of all needles.

After that, it was off for x-rays and home.

I am off work for the rest of the week. I have to keep my foot elevated and ice it. I can't walk or put too much weight on it. Husband went to my office to get some work for me. I am working with my departments to figure out a plan so I don't have to cancel any more classes.

I should be learning more about my prognosis in the next couple of days. I am hoping to be up and about soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get better soon!!

Addy N. said...

Wow- I hope you recover quickly! That shot sounds worse than my one-in-each-hip shots last week. Those didn't even hurt much, but the nurse scared me before she did it by telling me that it was split into two shots because it's "thick and uncomfortable" (it was progesterone in sesame oil!). The aftermath was worse, because the injection sites were sore for several days. Take care- I'll be thinking about you!

Arbitrista said...

Ouch. I hope you recover quickly. I probably hate needles as much as you do.

RageyOne said...

Jeez! Do get better soon.

comebacknikki said...

Yikes! I hope you feel better soon1

Weezy said...

Thoughts and prayers girl... feel better

EcoGeoFemme said...

That sounds awful. Take care...

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of your ankle problem/ infection. So important to take care of this, so I'm glad you are.

Take care of what you can and try to take it easy.

Joy

Mad Hatter said...

Oh, that sucks. Hope your ankle gets better soon.

Subscribe