The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, January 07, 2008

Monday Morning Murmurs

Posted by Seeking Solace |

  • I am so sore today. Not from my workouts, but from taking down the Christmas tree and all the vacuuming that goes with cleaning up after having a real tree. I was crawling around my living room with the hose attachment, trying to get all the needles out of every nook and cranny.
  • Now that the holidays are officially over, I can get back into a routine. Holidays really mess that up.
  • Even the Boy will be back to his normal routine. That means doggie playgroup tonight. He has not seen his friends for two weeks.
  • I will start preparing for next semester this week. One of my classes was cancelled, so I only have two. I am teaching Critical Thinking again, which will not take too much work. But, there are some changes I do want to make.
  • I am also teaching a writing course this semester. This is uncharted territory for me. I am excited because this will give me a chance to s me to expand my teaching skills. The chair of the English department is so nice and very helpful. Some of the other professors have emailed me with their support. Of course, I will be bugging my bloggy friends for help...that is if you don't mind schooling me!
  • I am having lunch with Awesome Former Colleague today. Olive Garden!!!!!
  • On the transferring to vegetarian front, I am doing very well. No beef or pork. I am still eating chicken, but not so much, maybe once a week. Seafood is a bit of a challenge. Husband made dinner last night. He surprised me with spaghetti with Boca ground "meat". Yummy!!!!
  • My rheumatologist is completely on board with my change and gave me some helpful suggestions on making sure I getting enough protein and iron. She mentioned that there are studies which indicate that a vegetarian diet can help with RA. I am so glad she is on board. Many docs still think that you have to eat meat to be healthy.

OK, I need to get some things done this morning....

ETA: I just checked the status of my courses and holy crap....the course I thought was going to be cancelled has three students registered!!! Maybe there is hope!!!!

8 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Good for you for the new challenge of a new course to teach!

I didn't realize you were switching to vegetarianism. I will be interested to hear how that goes. It sounds like your doctor is giving good advice.

Karen said...

The boca "meat" is also great for fake tacos. I love that stuff.

Do share your secrets for getting enough protein! I don't eat red meat or fish either (though I do eat chicken) and I'm always afraid of getting enough too.

Ianqui said...

>Many docs still think that you have to eat meat to be healthy.

Yeah, I was worried that my OB was going to be unhappy about my vegetarianism, but she seems ok with it. Now I'll just have to find an appropriate pediatrician someday.

Addy N. said...

Hooray for you on the veggie move! I hope it does help with your RA, too. Protein should really not be an issue- if you eat legumes and whole grains you are covered- even if you don't eat eggs and cheese (are you non-dairy?) I like meat substitutes sometimes, but they have a LOT of sodium, so be careful. There are some great cookbooks and blogs out there for cooking ideas, too. Some blogs I like are: Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, Vegan Lunch Box, and Dreena Burton's Blog. btw- I shipped your package this morning (Priority Mail)- I should have included a cookbook, darn!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone. I am try to make the change slowly, so I am giving up meat products one at a time. I am going to stick with eggs and dairy.

Lisa said...

I love the idea of the doggie playgroup!

k8 said...

Can't wait to hear more about the writing course! What type of assignments are you using? Do you have to follow a set syllabus or do you get to do your own thing?

Seeking Solace said...

K8: Both. There are some items that I must do, but the rest is allup to me.

Subscribe