The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

And It Begins

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Dear Professor Seeking Solace:

Why did I get a C- in your class? I just don't understand.

Signed, Student C-

Dear Student C-

You received a C- because although all of you papers were C's , you received a D on your research paper. Do the math.

Signed, Professor Seeking, Not That Mathematically Challenged, Solace

Dear Professor Seeking Solace:

I think I deserved an A, but I received a B. That is so unfair.

Signed, Unhappy with a B

Dear Unhappy with a B:

I realized that you are not happy with the end result. But, I can't make up points where they do not exist.

Signed, Seeking, You Get What You Get, Solace.

Dear Professor Seeking Solace:

Why did I get a C+?

Signed, C+ Student

Dear C+ Student:

Although, your exam grades were very good, your research paper was a D at best. I warned you during our conference that your paper had suspect sources and while I could not technically prove plagiarism, you were riding on the ragged edge of disaster.

Signed, Seeking. Be Thankful That You Did Not Get Busted, Solace

Good grief people, can't a girl get a break????

7 comments:

Weezy said...

I've had the same issue in the past, until I started keeping my gradebook on WebCT. The grades are there, and staring them in the face all semester (plus I do numbers vs letters) Though I hate math, it causes less arguments. I do NOT release the participation part of the grade and generally give those a bump that deserve it. BCC does - and +'s so I can usually turn around with, actually you got a fraction higher than you should have---would you like me to correct it to the lower grade? :)

Seeking Solace said...

I hate that grades are posted on line instead of the good 'ol days when you had to wait for them to come in the mail.

I don't know if I should even respond to these emails. I just don't want to deal with it right now. Can't it wait until the New Year???

Anonymous said...

my diss director ignores these emails. She figures they can do the math. I mean, they aren't really asking "why did I get this?" They're asking, "can you do anything about it?"

gwoertendyke said...

i have already had five of these and i just submitted grades late afternoon yesterday.

my favorite is:

dear professor whore,

i don't understand why i got a C in your class. i came to every class and read all of the material. i am very upset.

signed, frantic C.

dear frantic:

you got a D on your first paper, a B- on your second, and a C- on your third. if you recall, your last paper is weighted more than your first. you also never spoke in class.

sorry to have disappointed you. your work matters quite a bit; attendance is expected.

happy holidays!

professor aw

ps: as it turns out, i did raise her grade to a C+--because normally i do grade up a bit--i think she was one of the last grades to be tallied and thus i was grumpy.

Abbey said...

I love prof emails. :)

Anonymous said...

I am really surprised that I have not been deluged with similar emails this semester.

Anonymous said...

i say respond with what you wrote. simple and they should at least understand that, right?

Subscribe