The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 26, 2007

Someone Has Got a Case of the Mondays

Posted by Seeking Solace |

  • I spilled coffee on my cashmere sweater.
  • Why is it that no mater how much you stress the need for a Works Cited page, including a statement on an assignment in 18 point bold font that says "Any submission that does not contain a Works cited page will be accepted", there a students who STILL submit the assignment without a Works Cited page?
  • Also, why is it that no matter how many times you tell a class when their final exam is, you still get emails wondering when is the final?
  • I have a student in my law class who uses a highlighter to mark her answers on exams. That is annoying.
  • There is a push to revamp the CT course, so all instructors are required to submit three specific assignments for review. It's a pain in the butt and a total waste of paper.
  • I decided to nix an assignment for my CT class. I realized that I made the end of the semester too heavy with work. I was getting the sick feeling when I saw how much grading I would have to do. I amended my syllabus to reflect the change.
  • The nixed assignment will allow the students a chance to spend more time on their research paper which will include in class assistance time. How much do you want to bet that the ones who take advantage of my generosity really don't need to?
  • All the pretty snow that fell is gone. Instead, it is ugly, rainy and grey.
  • I have way too many essays to read.
  • I share office space with a colleague and good friend. She took pity on me and let me move in so I would not have to share space in the adjunct office for my department which is the size of a walk-in-closet. Well, there is this adjunct who keeps stopping by when I am not there and saying "Oh, tell Seeking Solace that I stopped by." and other chatty Cathy kind of stuff. I think it is annoying my friend. This adjunct is..well..annoying. Harmless, but annoying nonetheless. I had not made my office arrangement public to other adjuncts for fear of alienation and reprisal, but this person found out becuase I had to give her some docs for that dreaded admin stuff I mentioned above. And no, I could not email the stuff.
  • Maybe I will just tell this annoying person that I can only be around people for a short period of time before I start getting twitchy because of my fear of small places with lots of people, hence the space with good friend. So, she should email me before she stops by.
  • Like my new Present Thought at the sidebar? I think it reflects all of us right now!

OK, enough bitching. Time to strap on the Ipod and get to work. Bonus point for those who get the movie reference in the title to this post!

9 comments:

Arbitrista said...

I do believe you'd get your ass kicked saying a thing like that where I work! :)

RageyOne said...

:( Sorry Monday is not treating you well. We are finally emerging from a cold (not like your cold) rainy weekend. The sun is peeking through the clouds and I see a bit of blue sky. yay!

You are being good to your students and those that need it won't appreciate it, at all.

Karen said...

It's a bad coffee Monday here too. I dropped my ipod headphones into my (full) coffee mug this morning. Sorry about your sweater....fingers crossed it was a dark brown sweater!

Here's hoping Tuesdays are better!

Anonymous said...

currently your friend is hiding. I shut the door. I don't want to see anyone, I need a break!!

Seeking Solace said...

Arbitrista: Damn it feels good to be a gangsta. Now where's my stapler?

Ragey: Yeah, I am being too nice, but part of it was to make my life easier.

Kai: Nope, it was pink!

Righteous Babe: I might be doing that tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw that title, I pictured that woman saying "Does somebody have a case of the Mondays?" It does feel good to be a gangsta', too. I was talking to someone the other day about pieces of flair, too. I need to buy that movie on DVD.

I keep meaning to post on this (and will later), but I was kicking everyone's ass at 80s Trivial Pursuit on Thanksgiving!

Katherine said...

I failed more than 1/2 a class right before Thanksgiving because, despite my numerous reminders and statements on the assignment such as "must include in-text citations and works cited" and "need to research and rely upon a significant body of research," they didn't cite a damn thing!

WTF? Are listening and following directions lost arts?

comebacknikki said...

Ugh. I'm with you on so many levels! This Monday blows! :( And what is with all the damn citation issues? I'm having the same problem with my classes this semester. Grrrrrr!

Anonymous said...

mondays do suck. hope tomorrow's better!

Subscribe