The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, June 11, 2007

Strange Encounter

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Husband and I went out for lunch with two of his co-workers at an Indian restaurant. I couldn't help but overhear the conversation at the table behind me. There were two people discussing the goings on at Alma Mater Law School. They were commenting on how messed up the LL.M program is right now. They were also dishing about some of the professors and the pass rates for bar exam candidates.

As we got up to leave, I thought I recognized the woman who was part of the couple. So, I decided to say hello. Turns out, it was my Contracts and Torts professor from first year law school. She was sitting with another professor who I did not recognize until I got home and looked him up. So, I mentioned what I was doing, riding the adjunct circuit and was thinking about jumping into the law school teaching arena. Of course, I did not say anything about being rejected for the LLM program AND for a full time position. The other professor said I should contact the Law School about adjuncting.

Hmmm...interesting.

My first thought was "Cool. I really should contact the school." Then I thought "Are you crazy? This is the same place who rejected you TWICE. Why in the HELL would you think about going for a hat trick?"

I don't know what to make of this encounter.

Neither one said anything about name dropping. You know the "Well so-and-so said I should contact you" kind of thing. So, the skeptic in me says that the guy was throwing me a bone, just to be polite.

On the other hand, if he thought I was a total loser flake, he never wold have mentioned anything. I mean I was standing there in a pair of crop jeans, tee shirt and flip-flops with my hair in a pony tail. Not exactly professional attire!

I don't think either one of them remembered me. After all, I did graduate 11 years ago and I am not active in all the post law school hoopla. So, they didn't recoil in fear when I mentioned my name. And, they seemed interested when I talked about my prior adjunct work.

But, I don't want to get burned a third time by that place. What's the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...."

Gah, this is crazy! I am analyzing this too much...or maybe not enough!

My head is starting to hurt. Advice, please!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Well, it all depends, but I wouldn't call them if I were you. I mean, you were really hurt by them. Unless the teaching involved working with TOTALLY different people, it wasn't a good environment before, so why would it be now?

I was getting the "being polite" vibe based on the way you were telling the story, actually.

You're not a loser (YOU ROCK!), but I would want to start fresh in an entirely different school, if it were me.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Hmmm... I'd say let it go and start fresh. You shouldn't work for someone who has treated you so crappily in the past. It's like a bad relationship.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the pros above. you will find something great with a good work environment!

Anonymous said...

I agree to let it go. It's kind of like when people say "we should have lunch" but don't actually call you for lunch, know what I mean?

Subscribe