The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Bastards!

Posted by Seeking Solace |

On April 1st, I wrote the last check for my graduate school student loan.(Law school will be paid off by the end of the year). After 11 years of payments, Husband and I were excited that we were almost of out student loan hell. That extra money could go to extra principal payments for the law school loans.

I decided to check the status of my loan to ensure that everything was OK. To my surprise, I have a balance of $0.09! Somehow there were incremental adjustments of $0.01 for the past few months. For what, I have no idea. All my payments were on time and for the correct amount.

This is so incredibly stupid. The student loan people want me to write a check for nine friggin' cents??? Who writes a check for that amount? I should make the check out for $0.10 and make them send me a refund for a penny!

Bastards!!!!!

7 comments:

Carma said...

I once received a check for $1.42 because I over paid on our car insurance. It's not worth the cost of gas to drive to the bank to cash the check.

Anonymous said...

that is ridiculous. i say write the 10 cents check.

Prisca said...

It's also not worth their time to collect... but you've got to write the check to keep your credit clean. Damn. The problem is, I bet they don't sweep their accounts to send refunds for amounts that low. The borrower is always screwed. Congrats on getting those suckers paid off. I'll be dead before all my loans are paid off.....

Chaser said...

Ha! I like your approach! I bet they'd keep the penny, the bastards!

Karen said...

I say write them 9 different checks for $0.01 each!

Congrats on the (almost) paid off loan!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm so envious that your student loans are (for all intents and purposes) paid off! Woohoo! A big congrats on that one.

Second of all - how silly - 9 cents! Dont you think they could just call it even at that point!? (stupid question, I know)

Alice said...

Do it even better -- pay your balance online but make them mail you a check. ;)

Subscribe