The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, April 13, 2007

Voice of Reason

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I called the loan folks and asked them why there was a balance of $0.09 for my graduate school loan, when I paid the remaining balance in full and ON TIME. I also asked them if they really wanted me to send them a check for $0.09 when it would cost more than $0.09 to mail the blasted thing.

The call operator profusely apologized and indicated that the company would remove that charge from my account and my loan is paid in full. I wold receive a letter in 30 days, officially discharging me from the loan.

Well, I hope that ends it. I loved all of your suggested solutions to the problem! I was going to mail them a check for $0.10 and make them send me a check for $0.01. Then, I planned to frame the check! Oh well, I think I will frame the discharge letter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, when I was in graduate school, I went to register for classes, and they wouldn't let me because I had a block from the bursar's office. So, I went across campus (yeah, they couldn't be in the same building, now could they?) to see what was up, since I knew that I had paid on time. Well, it turns out that my student load check had been late arriving, so they had put a temporary block on my account. But, it arrived, and so my account was paid in full, right? No. I had a past due balance, apparently, of $0.00. Yep. You read that correctly. I said, "Why don't you just remove that?" Well, they wouldn't let me until I paid it. So, finally, I wrote a check for $0.00, and they cleared it. Hmm. I should have asked if they'd take cash. I got a strange phone call from the bank a couple days later. Yes. The dimwits deposited it.

So, at least your student loan people seem a bit more on top of things than the university's bursar's office clerk!

Unknown said...

I was going to suggest sending them a coupon for 10 cents off of something - or maybe 10 pennies. Or send them a check for 9 cents, but only put a one cent stamp on it so they have to pay to get it! :)

Subscribe