The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, March 26, 2007

Music Monday: Theme Songs

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Angry Pregnant Lawyer had a post about theme songs. I think this makes a great Music Monday post.

For most of my life, my theme song has been I'm Still Standing by Elton John. For most of my life, people have told me that I can't do something for various reasons. This song is just my "fuck you" to the naysayers and doubters.

Lately, my theme seems to be Taking the Long Way Around and Everybody Knows, both by the Dixie Chicks. I guess they describe where I am right now with life and other crap.

From Taking the Long Way Around:

Well I fought with a stranger and I met myself . I opened my mouth and I heard myself . It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself . Guess I could have made it easier on myself . But I, I could never follow . No I, I could never follow . Well I never seem to do it like anybody else . Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down . If you ever want to find me I can still be found . Takin' the long way . Takin' the long way around .

From Everybody Knows:

Tell me now . If you came sneaking up behind .Would you know me . And see behind the smile .I can change like colors on a wall . Hoping no one else will find what lies beneath it all . I think I hide it all so well.
Steppin' out . Everyone can see my face . All the things I can't erase . From my life . Everybody knows . Standing out . So you won't forget my name . That's the way we play this game . Of life.

So what's your theme song and why?

ETA: Husband wants to play too. He selected Another Tricky Day by the Who. I think he chose it because it is a metaphor for his life.

(Just gotta get used to it) We all get it in the end. (Just gotta get used to it) We go down and we come up again. (Just gotta get used to it)You irritate me my friend. (This is no social crisis) This is you having fun. (No crisis) Getting burned by the sun. (This is true) This is no social crisis, Just another tricky day for you.

You can always get higher, Just because you aspire, You could expire even knowing. Don't push the hands, Just hang on to the band, You can dance while your knowledge is growing.

This is no social crisis. Just another tricky day for you, fellah.

6 comments:

Abbey said...

I, too, resonate with Taking the Long Way Round.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I have a few, depending on mood. When I'm feeling tired or incompetent, I like "Snow Day" by Lisa Loeb:

You're not too tired for this life, and it's not going to matter if you fall down twice

When I was going through some of the bleaker parts of my job search, it was "Wake Up" by Hillary Duff (I don't care what anyone says, I love her)

There's people talking, they talk about me; they know my name they think they know everything; But they don't know anything about me... I know I make mistakes, I'm living life day to day; it's never really easy but it's ok

DrOtter said...

The Supernaturals and "smile"
Since I was 16.

"Every silver lining has a cloud
And each piece of good fortune must be paid for by the pound
I've become so cynical these days,
I don't know how it started but it won't go away
See the lines around my eyes,
See the sarcasm in my smile,

You'd better smile,Smile
Cause that's all that you've got left,
Your life's a mess, you've been cut adrift"

The first page of my thesis stated "every silver lining has a cloud".

Anonymous said...

Love this! I just may have to do a post like this on my blog! :)

By the way, I added a few pictures of my babies onto my last post.

Anonymous said...

I love Taking the Long Way, but lately, the song by Pink called 18 wheeler seems to sum things up for me: You can run over me with your 18 wheeler truck, but I'll just get back up. Although, after the day I had with my students today, I'm kinda wondering why I want to?!

Barb

Anonymous said...

wow, i never thought about having a theme song...and can't think of one right now either. i guess i'm lame.

Subscribe